• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Clutch

al383

Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
How can I tell if my fan clutch is bad? I've asked this question before and received different answers.
1. Bring the car up to temperature, shut the car off, spin the fan by hand. Fan should not go more than 3/4 around
2. Bring the car up tot temperature, shut the car off, watch the fan. If fan does not stop within one rotation, then its bad.
Is there any other way to tell if the fan clutch is good, and are these reliable ways of checking my fan clutch. It's a 22 inch radiator with the Haden fan clutch. Thanks for the help fellas.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me, they will usually push fairly hard when cold. Course if it overheats at idle look a little more closely. Mine only rotates about 1/2 revolution with a fairly hard push when cold.

Tried to turn mine cold goes about 1-1.5 turns cold. I was told to try my old belt drive fan.

Difficult to diagnose. Advice above sounds good. My tech diagnosed mine and the creep to hot at red lights subsided. Got a new Hayden. Problem solved. If you have the temp creep up at extended idle, there is a good chance it is the thermal.

Thanks guys it does creep up at lights. I was going to put original belt drive fan back on to see if Haydon was bad

Auto Transport Service
Back