• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiberglass hoods

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbird

Local time
6:17 AM
Reaction score
Wanting to put a glass hood on my car, wondering what anyone has used and what they think of fit and finish and overall quality of which ever one you have used. Have looked at Glass Tec, VFN, US Body Source and Unlimited. Not to many choices for 1970 Road Runner.
Thanks Darrell

IMG_0017.JPG
Got a glass hood from us body on my 67, 6 pack scoop hood. No complaints, would definitely use them again, get a lot of compliments on the scoop

I have a UP22 six pack hood , bolt on , on my 68 Satellite . Been on since 2007 . 1 small piece of front lower corner was chipped off , but overall fine . I have painted it twice as it cops a beating as a daily driver .
Just organised and fitted a Glasstek bonnet for 62 Chevy , wow it was a really nice piece and very well packed . Got down here to Australia without damage .
I have got a VFN front bumper , good fitting units but their service was pretty crap . They sent me a 69 Coronet front bumper instead of a 68 Satellite rear bar and said it was my fault I should have checked at the trans shipper . Bit hard when I am on the other side of the world . Maybe they should have checked the order .That is enough for me to say they are a bunch of @#$kwits and not recommend them .

Tex

I went with AAR (Stinger) for my '66 Satellite. Really good quality, fit is great. Delivery time was just as expected.

Unlimited is the WORST, GARBAGE, JUNK, CRAP, CHEESY, WARPED, WEEK, MADE WRONG, PIECE OF SH--T, did I say JUNK ,, 700.00 shipped . can you tell I am still pissed off.

Unlimited is the WORST, GARBAGE, JUNK, CRAP, CHEESY, WARPED, WEEK, MADE WRONG, PIECE OF SH--T, did I say JUNK ,, 700.00 shipped . can you tell I am still pissed off.
that`s wiered, I`ve got a vfn 6 pack hood on my 68 barracuda, and it fits very well. I was surprised how good it fit for $500 shipped back than !!

I bought a bolt on VFN hood this past fall and it's very nice! I didn't trust shipping it so I picked it up at the factory ( 4 hrs away). anyway fits very nice.

Unlimited and VFN are not the same companies. i have a rear bumper from Unlimited. It's the worst piece of crap I've ever seen and it doesn't even feel like the resin was mixed correctly as it feels "rubbery" for lack of a better term. They seem to be the only company making a 70RR Rear Bumper so I had no choice. I would gladly have paid double for a Glasstek piece.

Unlimited and VFN are not the same companies. i have a rear bumper from Unlimited. It's the worst piece of crap I've ever seen and it doesn't even feel like the resin was mixed correctly as it feels "rubbery" for lack of a better term. They seem to be the only company making a 70RR Rear Bumper so I had no choice. I would gladly have paid double for a Glasstek piece.

Several supplier options available for the hood. Years ago my buddy had VFN parts on his Chevy. It seemed to be really good stuff back then, but my AAR hood from 2 years ago is VERY nice.

Get a AAR and don't look back The best out there by far.
Scuff and paint. Nothing else to do. The fit is perfect.

belvedere hood4.jpg belvedere hood3.jpg 65 hood1.jpg 65 finished hood1.jpg 54 plymouth finished1.jpg

Get a AAR and don't look back The best out there by far.
Scuff and paint. Nothing else to do. The fit is perfect.

View attachment 394626 View attachment 394627 View attachment 394630 View attachment 394637 View attachment 394638
What Superstock racer should do is to take his steel hood down to Stinger who has bought out AAR and have them make a mold from his hood. He would get the first out of the mold for $450-$550 and feel so very special to be the first to have one.

Got a glass hood from us body on my 67, 6 pack scoop hood. No complaints, would definitely use them again, get a lot of compliments on the scoop

I have the same on my 67, are you using hinges or dzeus fastners? I love the hood and am going to run it even though it states for "off road use only"...I don't mind the fasteners but don't want to be pulling the whole hood every time I go to check the oil...

0426151715.jpg

I have the same on my 67, are you using hinges or dzeus fastners? I love the hood and am going to run it even though it states for "off road use only"...I don't mind the fasteners but don't want to be pulling the whole hood every time I go to check the oil...

View attachment 394654
I'm running the factor hinges, no issues whatsoever

Mine is a 68 RR
I have a repop 69.5 A12 Lift-off 6bbl RR hood from Year One,
hood pins, rear pin brackets & all the lanyards/trim,
it was pricey some $700+ 10 years ago
IIRC Glasstec makes them,
I'm not sure if they made them for Year One back then
it's a quality piece & looks pretty much the same as the OE lift-offs...

Shipping sucked {poor handling, damaged the hood, I fixed it myself}
& shipping thru Y/O was pricey as all hell...
But the hood quality is great...
By direct if you can...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

AAR {Stinger Fiberglass new partners} stuff is really nice too...

Good luck

68 RR A12 6bbl Lift Off Hood Under side seal.JPG

68 RR A12 6bbl Lift Off Hood.JPG

68 RR A12 6bbl Lift Off Hood Underside seal Left side rear.JPG

68 RR A12 6bbl Lift Off Hood Underside seal Right side rear.JPG

68 RR #30 A-12 6bbl pan & fresh air air-cleaner w-phenolic spacers.JPG

68 RR #15 Apr 26 2011.JPG

A lift off hood can easily be made into a hingable hood unless the mfg. has used a 3-4 inch foam around the hood edges for bracing. Our hoods and trunks can be made hingable here at Sled City Fiberglass. Been doing it for years.

Since AAR/Stinger did such a great job on my hood, I'm getting there pin on trunk lids. Wait time is only 2 weeks just like my hood was. Door to door. Now that's customer service and i'll save on shipping getting 2 at the same time.

Is that the unlimited hood in the picture? Bolt-on or pin-on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back