• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Racer's to Ever use Nitrous

moparcrazy

Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
So After reading this article I realized that I have one of the first Nitrous kits ever to be introduced to the Market,(even before Nos aka holley) I've Even met Ron Hammel at his shop here in Socal and never new who he was till today, this is a great read Gotta check this !!
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/the-first-drag-racers-to-ever-use-nitrous-oxide/
IMG_0571.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG

Ron Hammel was one of the best. Plus he could drink a ton of beer and carried great cigars.
SEMA , Stardust Hotel, Starlight Lounge, almost overnight. Dave

I have an old Marvin/Miiler 4150 plate that is supposed to be like a 125 shot that is from the late 50's early 60's sometime I was told.

Ron Hammel son, just died two~three weeks from a drug overdose, he really was a funny guy,

I have an old Marvin/Miiler 4150 plate that is supposed to be like a 125 shot that is from the late 50's early 60's sometime I was told.

I had Marvin Miller build me a system to mount under Sixpack carbs back in 78....

:xscuseless:
I'd REALLY like to see pictures of THAT!
Any comments on how it worked?
That is MY playground, and always will be, so please DETAILS!:thumbsup:

No photos, I had a few but between time in the service & moving a lot in my younger days there are lots of photos (as well as other stuff) that got lost.... there were three plates, the spray bars started at the rear & passed through all three plates, solenoids mounted at the back of the manifold... It was supposed to be 150 hp & it would certainly make all that... It pretty much blew the tires off any time I used it...

I needed better tires, better suspension... And mostly a better budget.. I was an E3 in the Navy & was making about $600 a month..

I read about Marvin in Hotrod & wrote him a letter... about six weeks later I got a letter back offering three options, an under the manifold direct port stealth system, a single plate on the center carb or the three plate system I bought....

It was allot of fun, the grin factor was high but on my paycheck I was buying insurance, a couple tanks of fuel & a bottle of nitrous every payday.... Oh, and alcohol... So I stayed to broke to actually make the car truly fast... Then I got orders to Guam & before I left I sold the system to a buddy who had a GTX..

That’s a fantastic story, especially for a kid who grew up in Spokane and drove by Thrifty Auto on Sprague every day to school. I had no idea they flogged a dragster with nitrous...was before my time.

Thanks for posting!

So After reading this article I realized that I have one of the first Nitrous kits ever to be introduced to the Market,(even before Nos aka holley) I've Even met Ron Hammel at his shop here in Socal and never new who he was till today, this is a great read Gotta check this !!
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/the-first-drag-racers-to-ever-use-nitrous-oxide/
View attachment 562119 View attachment 562120
I know of some guys that were running it in the very early 70's on the streets of New York. Shifter and trigger were below the center fold up armrest of a split bench seat Dodge Polara. Took a lot of peoples lunch money. Shortly after that, another team called Trick Dodge were injecting it into their car and taking orders.

I know there where German pilots using it back in WW2 , anyone ever hear of it being used before that? , just wondering.

I know there where German pilots using it back in WW2 , anyone ever hear of it being used before that? , just wondering.
Quick web search:
The Germans were the first people to use nitrous oxide in engines when they used it in aircraft during WWII. Many other countries picked up on the idea and started injecting their own aircraft engines with the substance.

that's around the time my dad was injecting a model T with a coleman lantern!

Auto Transport Service
Back