• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FMJ spindles with geometry-corrected/QA1 upper control arms - anyone running this setup?

cudak888

Local time
1:09 PM
Reaction score
Question: As has been found out, the taller F/M/J spindles work quite well on earlier applications, and have chosen to use a set for my '68 Belvedere disc swap.

That said, I'm also sick of using those needlessly expensive (and not really beefy) offset Moog UCA bushings. I have them on my '69 Valiant, and they don't do that much (granted, the tires are undersized on that car, but dropping the ride height hasn't improved it), and was thinking of pairing the FMJ spindles with a set of QA1 upper control arms.

Is there anyone running the combo of FMJ spindle and geometry-corrected upper arms? If so, what are your experiences with them (and what tires do you run?)

For the record, I presently have P225/70/R15's on the '68, and intend to stay with that.

-Kurt

I've got FMJ spindles and Hotchkis upper control arms with 255/60/15 tires on the '71. I'm very happy with the combo and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of harshness from the heim joints on the Hotchkis control arms. The control arms, however, were quite expensive. I used them to replace an old set of CAP tubular UCAs that I never could seem to get the alignment specs I really wanted.

phpgRsfGuAM.jpg

I've got FMJ spindles and Hotchkis upper control arms with 255/60/15 tires on the '71. I'm very happy with the combo and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of harshness from the heim joints on the Hotchkis control arms. The control arms, however, were quite expensive. I used them to replace an old set of CAP tubular UCAs that I never could seem to get the alignment specs I really wanted.

View attachment 352093

I saw the Hotchkis version when searching for UCA's. I'm not sure if it's representative of what I'd be running. At best, I'm considering basic tubular arms that compensate for the caster issues without the need for offset adjusters.

The Hotchkis arms are nice, but way over my budget, and the adjustability is more than I need for a driver. I wish they made a nonadjustable version with the geometry correction on the leading arm.

-Kurt

Last edited:
Have you looked at Firm Feel?

Have you looked at Firm Feel?

They claim compatibility with "short or tall" spindles and also have the extra caster. If so, those should work.

Just the same, I suppose that this probably applies to most of the caster-corrected tubular arms out there - but I'd like to verify before putting down coin on any of them.

-Kurt

They claim compatibility with "short or tall" spindles and also have the extra caster. If so, those should work.

Just the same, I suppose that this probably applies to most of the caster-corrected tubular arms out there - but I'd like to verify before putting down coin on any of them.

-Kurt

I have them and no complaints. Great customer service and Dick knows Mopars. Got UCA, they did my gear box, P/S pump, and got a K member stiffening kit from them. Call them and tell him what your intentions are for your car then make your decision

20140118_154516.jpg

I have them and no complaints. Great customer service and Dick knows Mopars. Call them and tell him what your intentions are for your car then make your decision

Sharp looking K there. FMJ or B spindles on yours?

-Kurt

Auto Transport Service
Back