• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are new repro hoses with a twist. Thanks to Darrin I sent them to him to receive the correct stamping based on plant variations. Perfectly done!

Thanks Big D!
IMG_1947.JPG
IMG_1948.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG
IMG_1956.JPG
IMG_1957.JPG

Your welcome Justin. Keep up the good work, the car is looking awesome!!

D

Did your lower hose have the wire inside? I'd like to get that for my hose.

Did your lower hose have the wire inside? I'd like to get that for my hose.
Tim,

I bought a wire for it. It came from cjponys parts I believe...member carnut here posted the link awhile back.

Justin

We really should make a sticky of this thread. This restoration has so much educational/historical value. In fact perhaps restoration isn't the correct word, Factory Rebuild is what this really is. Would make a great TV series.

We really should make a sticky of this thread. This restoration has so much educational/historical value. In fact perhaps restoration isn't the correct word, Factory Rebuild is what this really is. Would make a great TV series.
Roger,

Thanks for the comments and interest in my restoration...My goal of this restoration is to be as close to day one life as I can possibly mimic....Hence, mimic....these type of builds all one ever sees is the end product and not the process....the more I thought about creating this build thread I wanted it to show the love for the restoration as the love for my father and to to be beneficial as preserving some history along with help to other restorers.

A sticky is a great idea....A TV show...our forum is the best TV show around...I can channel surf by viewing other build threads, genreal section threads and political section among many others...We can go from the blue forum to a factory correct build...

Who else can provide that in one place?:thumbsup:

Justin

Justin,

I don't think I have ever commented on your thread but the pictures really don't your car justice after seeing it person. The level of detail and seeing all the parts on the car was just amazing. Thanks for sharing it with me!

AND back in the 60's-70's we swapped out parts all the time with never a thought about originality.

Justin,

I don't think I have ever commented on your thread but the pictures really don't your car justice after seeing it person. The level of detail and seeing all the parts on the car was just amazing. Thanks for sharing it with me!
Bryan

Thanks for the kind words and it was a pleasure to have over! You are welcome to come by anytime my friend just shoot me a text. Glad to see the progress on your bird is coming along nicely. Keep me posted!

Justin

AND back in the 60's-70's we swapped out parts all the time with never a thought about originality.
So very true......It took a year to find the correct date coded/part number starter to get restored...It was a luck find and I was getting close to an alternative in the interim.....

Original sway bar was degreased, hand sanded and painted with gloss black. Original bushing are are in pristine shape and notice the part numbers and DPCD logo. The sway bar bushing set is a spot on report set from Brewers performance..
View attachment 445772 View attachment 445773 View attachment 445774 View attachment 445775 View attachment 445776 View attachment 445777 View attachment 445778 View attachment 445779 View attachment 445780
Are those factory hammer marks on your spindle? Just kidding.

Last edited:
Are those factory hammer marks on your spindle? Just kidding.
No idea what those marks are from...I was the first one to remove all the suspension components...None of them were serviced(except the tie rods and idler arm) in the past other than being greased...So why would someone bang on it but did not remove anything nor hit any other components on that side?

You got me...I am happy with it.....

No idea what those marks are from...I was the first one to remove all the suspension components...None of them were serviced(except the tie rods and idler arm) in the past other than being greased...So why would someone bang on it but did not remove anything nor hit any other components on that side?

You got me...I am happy with it.....
I was teasing you. Your car is perfect. It is a mystery, though. I thought you or a previous owner may have done it trying to get the spindle off.

I was teasing you. Your car is perfect. It is a mystery, though. I thought you or a previous owner may have done it trying to get the spindle off.
Ohh I know you were joking, no worries my friend.....I have no idea how it got like that since I was the first to remove it. Original ball joint, original grease cup with pm's, tri caste nut with the factory bent cotter pin(factory bent them one way) Trust, me I didn't bang on it but I can tell you I broke two pullers breaking the joints loose.

When I cleaned this one up I tried to wrap my mind around how it got like that without the components being removed? No idea...

Thanks for the tip, got it ordered!

Just a heads up, I had to use two to get the full length of the lower hose. I have no idea whether I ordered a different one but it was from that website.

Ok Justin now I'm curious about how the assembly line bent a cotter pin & HOW did you find out?

Ok Justin now I'm curious about how the assembly line bent a cotter pin & HOW did you find out?
The wifeee has me doing the wife tied.e weekend....lol

So when I get a chance I will post some current progress pics showing the bent cotter pins....I have researched survivors through the years and my own survivors, look at my previous suspension pics on the X prior to restoration...all cotter pins are natural steel and bent up and over the ball joint studs. Also think about time which is faster on the line bend or the stud or separate and bend the two around?

Just a heads up, I had to use two to get the full length of the lower hose. I have no idea whether I ordered a different one but it was from that website.
I will post a pic of the one I purchased it went the full length of the lower hose...special thanks to carnut for posting that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back