• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking great Justin, looking like your rounding 3rd base and in the home stretch. Can't wait to see what your doing on the interior. Do you think you'll be out for the virgin test drive this fall?

Looking great Justin, looking like your rounding 3rd base and in the home stretch. Can't wait to see what your doing on the interior. Do you think you'll be out for the virgin test drive this fall?
Roger

Thanks! The original interior color is red and the majority of parts were restored by Dave Patik at PCG and instrument specialties... different shade, Sheen's and textures are there just like an original colored interior should be....

The major parts have to be assembled and I will do that once I get to each part. Doing that ensures they won't get beat and banged on prior to installation.

The first thing I will tackle is my least favorite thing to do and that is the doors and rear windows mechanisms...Just a lot of parts and time consuming....

The last thing on the interior I will do is the seats. I will strip them to the frames, repaint and replace everything.....

There is still a lot to do and I am in no rush but 3 months or less is a realistic timeframe to be completed...

I am in between 2nd and 3rd base.....

Justin

Seems everything just takes longer than one thinks it should, if done correctly.

Seems everything just takes longer than one thinks it should, if done correctly.
Agreed! For example the restoration on the driveshaft alone, including U joints could be in the range of 10-20 hours....It looks quick because almost all the parts are done and I just basically grab and go....Prior to and while the car was in paint and body I probably spent a year and a half restoring parts...I gauged it well because one week prior to the car coming home all the parts I wanted done were done.

If you plan it well when I go to grab the throttle cable assembly it is complete and in one box/container/wrapped up. So for each part all of its components are together.

So when you see me installing a part posted today or tomorrow that part was done over a year ago....

It's great to see the car sitting on all fours again Justin! I'm really excited to see the interior go together. One thing that I'm being critical about with the Charger is to accurately replicate the different color variances and sheens on the individual interior components. I can't wait to compare notes with you and see how you refinished your pieces to get the correct look.

Justin I will be starting on my dash soon, where did you get the needed suede paint? Was your dash black or red?

Justin I will be starting on my dash soon, where did you get the needed suede paint? Was your dash black or red?

I'm not sure where Justin got his dash paint but when we were at Carlisle picking up our gauges from Instrument Specialties they had samples of the suede dash paint that they mix up. It's the original acrylic lacquer from PPG and the few color spray outs that they had there looked great. I think it was $129 for a pint of black and $139 a pint for colors...

IS restored the dash...As stated above you can purchase directly...Member Beekeeper has an alternate option that looks good as well...Just PM him...

It's great to see the car sitting on all fours again Justin! I'm really excited to see the interior go together. One thing that I'm being critical about with the Charger is to accurately replicate the different color variances and sheens on the individual interior components. I can't wait to compare notes with you and see how you refinished your pieces to get the correct look.
The notes you will have to compare is from Dave Patik he restored 80% of the interior and IS did the remainder....

IS restored the dash...As stated above you can purchase directly...Member Beekeeper has an alternate option that looks good as well...Just PM him...
My painter carefully formulated my dash paint and it looks awesome....some clever guys out there.
Looking great Justin....keep it up. :thumbsup:

This car came with the front and rear bumper guard option..

The original front bumper guards were chromed by Tri City plating in TN. Original hardware was plated with phosphate and CAD. The rubber pad are new and came from Krusin Moons.
http://www.tricityplating.com
http://www.krusinmoons.com

####update I acquired an NOS front and rear set today, so these will eventually get replaced####

IMG_2062.JPG
IMG_2063.JPG
IMG_2064.JPG
IMG_2065.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2067.JPG
IMG_2068.JPG

Rear bumper guards

The original nuts for the rubber pads were phosphate and not CAD like the fronts...
IMG_2084.JPG
IMG_2085.JPG
IMG_2086.JPG
IMG_2087.JPG

These were a rare find but here is an NOS pair of the front parking lights..
IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG
IMG_2072.JPG
IMG_2073.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG
IMG_2076.JPG
IMG_2077.JPG
IMG_2078.JPG

Notice the shelf/environment age of the black paint...Also, how the overspray on each socket...Original captive nuts were plated and screws polished.
IMG_2079.JPG
IMG_2080.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2082.JPG
IMG_2083.JPG

Last edited:
Correct bumper bolts and hardware and these came from Bill Rolik..

Notice the flatness of the bumper bolt head..
IMG_2088.JPG
IMG_2089.JPG

All fitted up and man what a difference.....I didn't even wipe it down, lol.....
IMG_2112.JPG
IMG_2113.JPG
IMG_2114.JPG
IMG_2115.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back