• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arm rest pads were restored by Dave Patik at PCG. Ash tray bezels were polished and the ashtrays are NOS.

Inside door handles are the originals plated by Paul's

Window cranks are from DCS....NOS are non existent and good originals are the same...

IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1160.JPG
IMG_1161.JPG
IMG_1162.JPG
IMG_1163.JPG
IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG

Last but not least the pedal trim....I cannot find the E brake trim piece, lol....Go figure..

IMG_1174.JPG

Next on deck is the steering wheel and horn pad....that will be dealt with tomorrow...

Friday was a rather busy day. The windshield guy came back to reinstall the rear glass. Long story but when it first went in the clips would not retain the trim. So he came back a week later and removed the glass and took the clips with him. Rob has to adjust the clips so they would lock in the trim properly. This past Friday he came back with the clips and installed the glass and trim. Everything installed beautifully and flawlessly.

Again do not always bank on because it is new it works....In the end it is sad that even reproduction window trim clips(the rear) have to be modified.

Now let me express my opinion of the windshield company used for this project for the front and rear glass install. They were Phenomenal to say the least. Rob the main installer was completely professional, knowledgeable and I had no worry leaving him alone with my project to work on it. He wore an apron to protect the paint and took care of my parts and car as I would, Wow! That is rare to see....He also had a helper to come by for setting the rear glass in and his name was Chris...Chris was very professional and had such a wonderful attitude even though he was a Cowboys and Michigan fan, lol....He also respected my car as his own and was genuine with his comments......

You know i only talked to the owner Rick over the phone but based on his employees and their work/care speaks miles of who and what your company is about....THE CUSTOMER...

I would use them again in a heartbeat and will recommend them to anyone needing anything glass related....

To Rod, Chris and Rick I thank all of you for taking great care of my car and installing the glass/trim perfectly!

http://www.xtremeautoglasspros.com
View attachment 527414 View attachment 527415 View attachment 527416

Looks as fantastic as the rest my friend.

Last edited:
Are the headrests NOS? Mine are original but kind of hard and lumpy or not very smooth across the front. Were the originals ever soft like modern headrests?

Are the headrests NOS? Mine are original but kind of hard and lumpy or not very smooth across the front. Were the originals ever soft like modern headrests?
No...They are the original headrests. One of the two had a repair done to it. It had a crack in one corner and he repaired it and I cannot tell which one of the two had the repair....Thats just how good this guy is. At the time when he first got them he was not sure he could but would try. So instead of pitching it and charging me for a replacement he fixed it.

Another good vendor in the rolodex.....

They were never soft but were pliable....

This is just beautiful! Really amazed every time I stop in and see your work and attention to detail. So happy for you brother! Enjoy!
Paul

Thank you very much for the compliments and also taking your time to check out my thread!

Justin

Wow, Justin! I'm speechless to say the least seeing how far you have come from Post #1. So how ling till you & the Mrs. go for the 1st drive?

Absolutely beautiful. You nailed it. This is one of those cars that deserved this attention to detail, for so much more than one reason alone. I will venture to say this is the nicest GTX I have ever seen. I did not see them new on the showroom floor! You're so close now it's probably hard to sleep at night! At least that's how I am. Turning off the thought process is difficult, especially when there is "visible" changes happening at this rate. I don't think it's too soon to say Congratulations. You have done an outstanding restoration and have been generous enough to share your journey and knowledge along the way. I, along with many I'm sure, Thank You very much.

Those seats and interior really pop...really fantastic!
What kind of mods did your glass guy do to the window clips? I have a few that need a tweak.
What are the red seat belt bracket looking pieces for? Rear shoulder belts? I've never seen them.

No...They are the original headrests. One of the two had a repair done to it. It had a crack in one corner and he repaired it and I cannot tell which one of the two had the repair....Thats just how good this guy is. At the time when he first got them he was not sure he could but would try. So instead of pitching it and charging me for a replacement he fixed it.

Another good vendor in the rolodex.....

They were never soft but were pliable....
That's what I heard about the re-pops, "not soft, but pliable". I guess I'll save my money and buy those next.

That's what I heard about the re-pops, "not soft, but pliable". I guess I'll save my money and buy those next.
I am not talking about the reproductions I was referring to the original equipment/NOS....

I am not familiar with the reproductions...IIRC B/E at one time had a nice set from what I heard but I am not sure if they still have them or if they sell them anymore..

I am not talking about the reproductions I was referring to the original equipment/NOS....

I am not familiar with the reproductions...IIRC B/E at one time had a nice set from what I heard but I am not sure if they still have them or if they sell them anymore..
I knew what you were saying. I mentioned it because I had just commented on a 68 Coronet convertible garage photo, beautiful red with white interior, and started a conversation with him about his headrests. He said they were re-pops from PG Classic or Classic Industries and that's how he described them.

The side bolsters of outboard front seatbacks look wrinkled to me.

Last edited:
[Edit]

Hey Justin, forgive me for being harsh regarding upholstery wrinkles in my early posts. I'm happy to hear it's been getting better with time.

Last edited:
Justin, forgive me for being so harsh but, this might not be Sue's fault. The section seams may have been sewed together wrong, or poorly cut patterns. It very well could be Legendary that screwed this up. Sorry dude.
I think this is something you could have certainly called me/texted me about rather than pointing this out in my thread....That way I could have explained this in more detail....Versus posting here and texting me....Why do both?

In relation to the front seats since they have been installed some of the wrinkles have relaxed out....Especially after sitting my tush in them.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back