• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn Justin, she's looking freakin fantastic!! seat bolsters notwithstanding :rolleyes:

btw, where did you get the trunk divider? I need to get one for my Newport along with a package tray.

Damn Justin, she's looking freakin fantastic!! seat bolsters notwithstanding :rolleyes:

btw, where did you get the trunk divider? I need to get one for my Newport along with a package tray.
Mario

Thanks my friend!

After the day I had today I needed some positive news......It is bad enough what I had to deal with earlier today and then get kicked in the nuts at the tail end of the day.....

The seat divider came from Legendary.....

Here is a pic of the side bolster of the driver seat taken just a few minutes ago...
IMG_20171015_221642970.jpg

Wow, Justin! I'm speechless to say the least seeing how far you have come from Post #1. So how ling till you & the Mrs. go for the 1st drive?
Roger

It has come a long way has it not....since 1993.....I told Nat come on out and check the seats out and she jumped in and said, "This is amazing!".....

Will be awhile for the first ride...still waiting for the rear bumper....

Thanks for the compliments...

Justin

Absolutely beautiful. You nailed it. This is one of those cars that deserved this attention to detail, for so much more than one reason alone. I will venture to say this is the nicest GTX I have ever seen. I did not see them new on the showroom floor! You're so close now it's probably hard to sleep at night! At least that's how I am. Turning off the thought process is difficult, especially when there is "visible" changes happening at this rate. I don't think it's too soon to say Congratulations. You have done an outstanding restoration and have been generous enough to share your journey and knowledge along the way. I, along with many I'm sure, Thank You very much.
George

I really appreciate your kind words and comments above. I think that in itself will relax me a bit to sleep well tonight.

When I first started this thread I really had no clue how it was going to go.....The story in the beginning took me a whole day to get together for obvious reasons. I was worried that most would think I am showcasing parts, the car and money spent along with a know it all attitude. If anyone truly knows me I am none of those things....To my friends I would give them shirt off my back to help them out. I am only passing on what I have learned through the years and making my Dad's car perfect.....Then this thread turned into it's own animal....Tons of credit for this build thread goes to the members here....

Seriously, without you guys here my thread would have fizzled away.....I can post pictures all day long but with zero interest and no comments of any kind...I myself would have lost interest....

This site, these members...Well, this is MOPAR and this is what the real hobbyists are all about and I cannot thank you and everyone else enough......

Justin

Those seats and interior really pop...really fantastic!
What kind of mods did your glass guy do to the window clips? I have a few that need a tweak.
What are the red seat belt bracket looking pieces for? Rear shoulder belts? I've never seen them.
Mark

Thanks a bunch my friend and good to see you around....

I attached two pics of the clips...The first pics shows three clips and 3 contours, The far left one is untouched and the far right one was the last one changed to the correct contour. The second pic shows a second issue the top part of the clip is too tall and kept the trim from seating. So the top edge of every clip had to be trimmed down a little.

Those brackets hold the seat belts in place. Each belt clips onto them. During shipment from the factory they had plastic baggies on each buckle with a rubber band. I just have not put those on yet. The shoulder belt is for the front seat....

FCE4AAAD-.jpg
3FBCB7D6-.jpg

Mark

Thanks a bunch my friend and good to see you around....

I attached two pics of the clips...The first pics shows three clips and 3 contours, The far left one is untouched and the far right one was the last one changed to the correct contour. The second pic shows a second issue the top part of the clip is too tall and kept the trim from seating. So the top edge of every clip had to be trimmed down a little.

Those brackets hold the seat belts in place. Each belt clips onto them. During shipment from the factory they had plastic baggies on each buckle with a rubber band. I just have not put those on yet. The shoulder belt is for the front seat....

View attachment 528053 View attachment 528052

Learned something new on the seatbelts, thanks. I cannot believe simple clips could be so screwed up. My rear clips are loose on the trim but I'll deal with that later on in life lol.

Learned something new on the seatbelts, thanks. I cannot believe simple clips could be so screwed up. My rear clips are loose on the trim but I'll deal with that later on in life lol.
I agree...something so simple as clips....

George

I really appreciate your kind words and comments above. I think that in itself will relax me a bit to sleep well tonight.

When I first started this thread I really had no clue how it was going to go.....The story in the beginning took me a whole day to get together for obvious reasons. I was worried that most would think I am showcasing parts, the car and money spent along with a know it all attitude. If anyone truly knows me I am none of those things....To my friends I would give them shirt off my back to help them out. I am only passing on what I have learned through the years and making my Dad's car perfect.....Then this thread turned into it's own animal....Tons of credit for this build thread goes to the members here....

Seriously, without you guys here my thread would have fizzled away.....I can post pictures all day long but with zero interest and no comments of any kind...I myself would have lost interest....

This site, these members...Well, this is MOPAR and this is what the real hobbyists are all about and I cannot thank you and everyone else enough......

Justin

This thread has helped me immensely with my restoration. Your attention to detail and thorough way of showing and explaining how things go together and the way the factory did things is better than any book that I have. It's been a lot of fun watching this thread. Once it's done it will not be the same logging on and not seeing your progress. You're going to have to start another restoration to fill the void...lol

Looking better every day, next time I'm in Flower Mound to visit my brother I'm going to look you up. I would love to see this car in person, truly amazing.
Frank

This thread has helped me immensely with my restoration. Your attention to detail and thorough way of showing and explaining how things go together and the way the factory did things is better than any book that I have. It's been a lot of fun watching this thread. Once it's done it will not be the same logging on and not seeing your progress. You're going to have to start another restoration to fill the void...lol
Chris

I am glad that this thread has become a useful tool to members here. I will admit I am not the best explainer but I wanted to show that this type of restoration can be done at home.

You don't need a paint both, a lift, spray guns, fancy tool box etc...if you can believe only 5 parts were blasted in a cabinet for this whole car. None of the suspension/drivetrain were blasted. I degreased, acid bath, paint stripper and evapo rust.

Yes, I used rattle cans....a bunch of them, lol.....my paint room was a three car garage with the X covered and the wife's car outside....I cracked open the side door and a garage door and there was my cross draft, lol.....my redneck baking station was a space heater!

As far as doing another, I would love too but there is just not enough NOS left to build one in comparison to the X.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind do one for someone else....just send me the car, parts and some $$ for my time.....Kinda like a grandchild love them for awhile but when your done you can send them away with the parents to take care of them.....

Again, thanks for the compliments! I will be going through my pictures this evening for your area in question on your car.

Justin

Looking better every day, next time I'm in Flower Mound to visit my brother I'm going to look you up. I would love to see this car in person, truly amazing.
Frank
Frank

Thank you and I appreciate your kind words!

FM is really close and with the I121 about 15 mins away....

Do hit me up whenever you are in town....My door is always open to a fellow Mopar hobbyist!

Justin

Mark

Now we're talking.....Sounds like a possibly to get a few FBBO folks together.....Some of the guys from Houston come up for the show as well in August....

I would also have a parking spot for you as well....just have to bump the wifies car out, lol...She wouldn't mind for a beauty as yours...Also, plenty of room to park a trailer/truck out front...

Justin
I'm in!!! ( work permitting)... I've never been to an all Mopar show and would enjoy meeting everyone in person.
And see the piece of art you call a restoration!!!

I'm in!!! ( work permitting)... I've never been to an all Mopar show and would enjoy meeting everyone in person.
And see the piece of art you call a restoration!!!
Mike

My Houston Peep! You were automatically "IN" you don't have a choice! Lol...

We will all have to get together and work on something that accommodates everyones schedules!

Thanks for the compliment! Just a few finishing touches left on this masterpiece:D

Justin

Man that sounds like a plan, we have to get something together!
I've read every post you have made and let me tell you it's a total masterpiece. Your explanations, demonstrations and knowledge are beyond my comprehension!
I've read many of the things you have pointed out and just scratch my head and wonder where in the world would you even go to find that info...
Its been a real education and I have nothing but much respect for you!!!

Man that sounds like a plan, we have to get something together!
I've read every post you have made and let me tell you it's a total masterpiece. Your explanations, demonstrations and knowledge are beyond my comprehension!
I've read many of the things you have pointed out and just scratch my head and wonder where in the world would you even go to find that info...
Its been a real education and I have nothing but much respect for you!!!
Mike

I really do appreciate that! Thank you!

The majority of info came from my pop's(whom worked at the St louis plant in the evenings) and talking to others through the years and my own research....Going to countless swap meets comparing parts, researching survivors, talking to the old timers and also getting my cars judged is a learning tool....(they tell you exactly whats wrong, lol) Then came stripping cars down and I bet I have completely stripped over a 100 down....Looking at markings, recognizing bolts/screws...Then organizing everything....When people call me for a particular bolt in less than 10 minutes I have it in my hands to be shipped....if that gives you an idea...

As far as restoring and assembly of parts.....you are getting the material that has been perfected...at least in my eyes...Keep in mind prior to the last several builds the others ones were countless mistake and redo's..lol.. I wanted to provide information that led folks in the right direction and not a trial by fire...which can be very costly....

Justin

Justin what years did your dad work at St. Louis? He may have had a hand in my car....

66-68....IIRC He walked his 67 GTX through the line and handpicked parts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back