• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fred the parts mule/shop truck

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
Fred once again performed the menial task of fetching parts for one of our "modern" Dodges today.
It occurred to me that this hasn't been the first time for such duty for him either.
Often is the time he's been called upon to fetch needed parts for either the '04 Ram (things like
a radiator, a couple sensors, etc.) or the '12 Charger R/T (again, stuff for the radiator, sensors, etc.).

Today, it was a dang ABS speed sensor for the LR on the Charger - the thing let go with all manner
of warning lights on the dash yesterday, a sort of mini "midnight over Tokyo" display that irked me
no end, since I actually had use of the car on a rare weekday (it's HERS, you know).
Traction control, ABS, speed control, all sorts of stuff lit up...didn't affect the way the car ran (which
as usual was like a scalded dog; it's always been a "ringer" in that regard) but nonetheless, under
the damn car I went when I got home.

The routing of the wiring for that sensor is INSANE, by the way....all the way across the back of the
car, in that tight space between gas tank and rear crossmember - terminating at a plug right next
to the right side sensors' wiring; then both pass up through the trunk floor.
That was idiotic enough - but THERE'S EXHAUST PIPES THERE, too.
Gee, guess why these things fail?....

Anyways, the irony of Fred being the only go-fer available for me to fetch parts with once again
was not lost on me today.
Imagine, a car dragged out of a field 14 years ago after being abandoned - and "redneck restored"
by yours truly in the years since - being the DEPENDABLE WORKHORSE of the fleet.

Ironic as hell if you ask me. :thumbsup:

Sounds like Fred has a bit of B-body, parts-retrieving pickup truck in his blood.
Sounds like Fred’s the real deal.
His other relatives tried and weren’t so successful in my opinion.
:lol:

1694120393385.jpeg

I’ve gone grocery shopping in this:

32138EE4-0937-48FA-AA62-3F66EED456B0.jpeg

I walked up to the car with the shopping cart and was all happy with myself for using the car to do such a menial task when a thought came to me that brought me back to reality.
These were once just daily driver cars for people. Nobody in 1970 thought a 53 year old car would be worth 20-30 times its original sales price.

View attachment 1521874

I walked up to the car with the shopping cart and was all happy with myself for using the car to do such a menial task when a thought came to me that brought me back to reality.
These were once just daily driver cars for people. Nobody in 1970 thought a 53 year old car would be worth 20-30 times its original sales price.
9-10 months out of the year, Fred takes us to weekly shopping most all the time. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1521874

I go grocery shopping in the Demonstrator more than I go to car shows. The GTX gets way more attention in that setting, probably because it's unexpected. But I had the same reaction back in day, the first time I saw Julie Clark using it for the same purpose, when it was her family car.

Still on shake-down, first cruise on a
public road. The wife said we're out
of coffee.
2 items replaced to being faulty, out
of the box. Alternator and carb.
She's running like a top now.
Still need to fine tune the fuel pressure
to 6.5.
The most common question so far;
what year is it?
20230830_152808.jpg
Ed, I still owe you a vid. Ain't forgot.

39-47.

Still on shake-down, first cruise on a
public road. The wife said we're out
of coffee.
2 items replaced to being faulty, out
of the box. Alternator and carb.
She's running like a top now.
Still need to fine tune the fuel pressure
to 6.5.
The most common question so far;
what year is it?
View attachment 1522143
Ed, I still owe you a vid. Ain't forgot.
I'm very much looking forward to that. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back