• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

front clutch pack tons of clearance

velrob

Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
I am in process of rebuilding my 727

seems my front clutch pack has about 1.75 of clearance

FSM calls for 0.47 to 1.10

Is there any issue if I install 5 friction/steeles to bring me inside tolerance?

with 5 steels/friction i would reduce my tolerance by 1.30 and with a 0.60 ring it would set me to 0.55 tolerance

FSM calls or 0.48 to 1.10 clearance for 4 frictions not sure if that would change with 5

Last edited:
Bring in' back memories, you may have a Hemi frt.drum? Also excess wear in the drum. If everything checks you should be able to add discs as long as you alternate. There used to be a couple different thickness snap rings to use for adjusting, but nothing as big as ur seeing.

You can also buy different thickness steels.

My service manual (1966) calls for .056 to.104 clearance. Snap rings come in .060-.062, .068-.070 and .076-.078.
I assume you have pressure plate that's last piece in?
trans.jpg

velrob you talking in millimeters(?).Us oldsters "down south" go with inches,etc.lol. Fran is correct with the sizes.

heya the feeler gauge is in millimeters

im not sure why theres tons of clearance but my steels are already thick as they can be and my frictions also thickest i can find

my snap ring is 0.7 right now and biggest i can get is 1.06 (not even sure that will fit?) which drops my tolerance by .36 which wont be enough

i cant tell if this drum is from a hemi as i removed it from a 71 charger superbee.

maybe i can add another steel right next to the first steel ?

that would bring me into tolerance by adding another 0.70 and using a thicker snap ring.

Last edited:
maybe i can add another steel right next to the first steel ?
I wouldn't. Has the drum been cut, for added discs, or worn that much? Fairly easy just to buy a new drum, and be done with it. Are the steel plates your using new, or used?
There's a reason your not getting the right end play.

You want .012"-.015" per clutch. One additional friction and steel will gain you roughly .165". You can add one steel between the thrust plate and snap ring to tighten up clearance. Thick steels (.090") are availible as are thin frictions. 4plate clutch will hold easy 700hp. Mine runs 5 thin frictions at .070". 200 runs @900hp, no issue at inspection, reused them.
Doug

Alright ill add a steel between the thrust plate and snap ring

should i buy a new drum or just use another steel to tighten clearance?

im using new steels and friction.

to check tolerance i am pushing down on the pressure plate to see when my feeler gauge is no longer able to slide under the snap ring

is this incorrect?

As long as the inner surface where the stator support rings ride isn't worn the drum will be fine. Just slide the feeler gauge in, dont jam it. A little loose is better than too tight.
Doug

Last edited:
Velrob you don't want to have 2steels/frictions against each other, alternate.

this drum is from a hemi as i removed it from a 71 charger superbee.
Was that drum complete, with all the parts? Asking since on 'later' model 727s, front drum uses a wavy retaining snap ring. What kind do you have? Only guessing the drum's groove for the later ones is wider. (I've only worked earlier 727s)
What happened to the original front drum? Might be worth comparing the two.

im using the wavy snap ring on the rear clutch pack, the one that comes with the shaft.

im able to get into tolerance with putting a steel right after after the thrust plate

there was only 1 wavy snap ring when i took everything apart.

Last edited:
The factory ring is usually waved. I replace it with a flat sryle to reduce clutch drag. Either will work.
Doug

using the wavy snap ring on the rear clutch pack
Rear clutch now...okay. I'll just assume you've got the clutch pack stacked right. On the rear clutch, the wavy ring goes under the clutches, on top of the clutch/piston retainers.
Sorry, just trying to picture what you have. But, if you have a reference book to go by...

Checking that clearance should be done, with the parts dry stacked.

i was having issue with front clutch pack (the one without the wavy ring). the clutch pack with the wavy ring is ok

i was having problem with front clutch pack with excessive tolerance but dvw said to place a steel after the thrust plate which brings everything into tolerance

Auto Transport Service
Back