• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Wheel Bearings

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:40 PM
Reaction score
How can you tell if they're bad? I didn't notice noise, but a few of the rollers look scratched on the outer bearing.
The inner bearings seem a little discolored (amber-ish).
I safely removed the seal, does it need to be replaced each time it's removed?
How can you tell if the seal is bad? The rubber seems smooth without nicks.
Should I remove the races the bearings ride on? The new ones I noticed come with new ones.
Thanks guys!

Sounds like you're already going to replace the bearings. The race has to be replaced too. New bearings on old races won't last long. Look at the difference between the old bearings and races and you can see how they wear. The races normally show wear more than the rollers but the shine is gone, they will almost have a pitting to them when worn. It doesn't hurt to replace them, they don't cost that much. Read your FSM for torque specs on the spindle nut. Replace seal also while you're in there.

Replace seal also while you're in there.
Kinda rules of thumb.

Always replace both inner, and outer seals.
Timken (tapered) bearings...never mix parts. They are matched sets, so the races need to be used. Chewed up bearings/races, need to be replaced. If the races, or rollers have turned 'blue', that's from getting hot...need to be replaced, since the temper is out of the steel.

Thanks guys! Any tips on removing the races? tap out with brass drift?

Make sure you repack the bearings FULLY with good grease.

tap out with brass drift?
Yes, but only if you have to.
I used a steel drift once, on a burned up race...cost me my right eye.
Best to use a bearing race 'puller', if you have access to one. Needs to come off evenly.

Auto Transport Service
Back