• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel pump mechanical or elecrtic

67belvedere/225

Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
I'm debating to put the original mechanical fuel pump on my 225 slant six or run the holley electric 12-426 electric pump
anybody ever have issues with the electric pumps. I am going to drop the tank and have it cleaned if there is any crap at the bottom. reliability is the issue
thanks

You will get a variety of opinions here. I went BACK to original mechanical for reliability and noise reduction.

Electric pumps noisy. With electric pump put filter between tank and pump. First elec pump I did no pre-filter, its been in 35 years but didn't know any better then.

the holley kit comes with filter /fitting before it so you cat f up
I'm leaning towards the mechanical one. I'm running twin carbs
so I hope I don't run out of fuel at top end but the again I m not racing it

Personally, I'd stick with the mechanical. They usually don't fail catastrophically like an electric can. You can usually drive it for some time with a small hole or tear in the diaphragm and even if you need to change it, it should be very easy on a slant six. Probably could do it on the side of the road in :30 min. or so.

With a slant six I would also go with the mechanical pump. Easy to install. Less chance of problems. And should provide plenty of fuel. I went with the electric to feed my 3 deuces because they just weren't getting the fuel I needed. It's only noisy when you start it. After that I don't hear anything but the roar of all the ponies under the hood. Why make it more complicated,than you have to.....

Ran the stock mechanical pump on my /6 and was racing it but it was stock with simple bolt on mods. When I first got the car (a 66 Belvedere), it would only do 22 second 1/4's lol. Got it down to mid 19's pretty easily and after a big gear change, it ran an 18.10 best. The pump that was on the car only put up 3 psi but it never starved for gas. Ironic as it sounds, the car ran consistent 19.66 and usually went several rounds before I red eyed or was just sleeping at the light but it never broke out and one night after 7 rounds, I nailed the trophy! It was after that I went from a 2.94 dinky rear to a 4.10 8 3/4 and then ran the 18.10.

great , i'm gonna get a mechanical pump then , they are cheaper than electric anyway.
i can get one from my auto parts store , i think it s made in china ,i 'm not shire i can cam get isa made
if anybody has a link or p/n i would check here local. rock auto has airtex ? i don't know if its good or not
i will keep the factory one spare just incase, i wish i could find a kit for it it's the oem one

The $20 plus $15 shipping one risky? If your budget is tight I guess, it's been a long time since I had to watch my money that closely. If you have one like the $95 dollar pump that bolts together they sell rebuild kits at Mancini Racing, $110 but You would need to make sure it fits. Those kits are for Big Block carter pump but LOOK similar to the $95 pump. The only difference I see is the drive arm but check if you go the rebuild route.

Last edited:
If you go the $100 route electric pump is probably way to go.

I'm debating to put the original mechanical fuel pump on my 225 slant six or run the holley electric 12-426 electric pump
anybody ever have issues with the electric pumps. I am going to drop the tank and have it cleaned if there is any crap at the bottom. reliability is the issue
If you go mech, get 1 that has the rod that hold the lever on the pump totally incased. I got 1 that was just pressed into the side of the pump. (I think a holley) and it came out and wore a 1/2 inch of metal off of the rod that presses the lever from the cam. It was a simple fix but I had alot of metal running around my engine.

Check out the E8251 made by airtex, sold at walmart. Ran one on a ZZ4 350 for years with no problems, and it's quiet. Can't beat the price, and easy to replace.

Auto Transport Service
Back