• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump problems

Gpuller

Local time
9:09 PM
Reaction score
Have been working on the interior of my car this winter. I got the instrument cluster repaired also. Finally got to the point where I could fire up the car and watch the newly repaired tach in action.
Car would't run unless the carb was full of fuel. After some trouble shooting narrowed it down to the pump. Its a mechanical Carter rebuild able one.
I pulled it a part and sure enough the diaphram is cracked.

IMG_4049_zps9ca2ff78.jpg

IMG_4048_zpsccbcf396.jpg

Also found some receipts for parts that have been put into the car over the years.

invoice_zps0cba3301.jpg

Bought the pump from Summit on 6/7/89! The summer I graduated from high school. This thing has only pumped ethanol fuel for 24 years. Yeah ethanol is hard on parts...my a#%.
Mancini has new pump for around $109 and rebuild kits for them for around $55. Ordering a kit tomorrow.
Think the rebuild kit will last another 24?

24 yrs. ago on Summit receipt... Only live about 15 miles from their new place & it seems to have been there forever.

Wow! More importantly, look a that receipt!!! I know kids older then that receipt! Anyway. I would upgrade and just for the fun of it.. I would look at that fuel pump pushrod and make sure it hasn't mushroomed in there.

Mike

Got a rebuilt kit from Mancini yesterday. None of the holes in the new diaphragm line up with the pump cover and body. Then the metal backing plate for the diaphragm is too big and wont fit into the lower half of the pump body. Not impressed.

I would just send the parts back and replace the entire pump.you definitely got 39 bucks worth out of that one. that is almost the cost of a stock replacement these days

I would just send the parts back and replace the entire pump.you definitely got 39 bucks worth out of that one. that is almost the cost of a stock replacement these days

That's the plan, just a little ticked. Weather is supposed to in the 70's this weekend and would like to get the car home. Oh well.

Ethanol does it's dirty deed when it sits for a long period of time and depending on the % ethanol in the gas depends on how fast it does it's dirty deed. Straight gasoline has a longer 'shelf' life than gas that has ethanol in it, plan and simple. Also, a lot of fuel hose that we've been getting in the last 10-15 years is made in China which is usually sub par to American made or made anywhere else hose. New fuel hose is supposed to be made with a different (better?) grade of rubber to withstand years of ethanol laced fuels. If ethanol fuels were not harder on the fuel system, why is that done and why are all automotive fuel tanks made from plastic. Same way with portable fuel cans. Ethanol laced fuel is more caustic and is the reason for that....

That's the plan, just a little ticked. Weather is supposed to in the 70's this weekend and would like to get the car home. Oh well.

I just bought a replacement for my 440, I checked every damn parts hut in my area, the cheapest one was 34 bucks, which is fine , but it took 4 days for me to get it , because Autobone doesn't stock them any more, nor does any other oriellys or advance in my area. I remember when those things were 12 bucks a piece and there were 5 on the shelf.

Ethanol does it's dirty deed when it sits for a long period of time and depending on the % ethanol in the gas depends on how fast it does it's dirty deed. Straight gasoline has a longer 'shelf' life than gas that has ethanol in it, plan and simple. Also, a lot of fuel hose that we've been getting in the last 10-15 years is made in China which is usually sub par to American made or made anywhere else hose. New fuel hose is supposed to be made with a different (better?) grade of rubber to withstand years of ethanol laced fuels. If ethanol fuels were not harder on the fuel system, why is that done and why are all automotive fuel tanks made from plastic. Same way with portable fuel cans. Ethanol laced fuel is more caustic and is the reason for that....

This pump has pumped 10% ethanol fuel for 24 years. I don't buy into all that ethanol is bad stuff. These things can't last forever and ethanol didn't kill it.

- - - Updated - - -

I just bought a replacement for my 440, I checked every damn parts hut in my area, the cheapest one was 34 bucks, which is fine , but it took 4 days for me to get it , because Autobone doesn't stock them any more, nor does any other oriellys or advance in my area. I remember when those things were 12 bucks a piece and there were 5 on the shelf.

Yeah I was going to put a standard pump in but my local store doesn't have one plus I'd have to redo all the plumbing up to the carb.

The rubber in fuel systems of old were not made to stand up to alcohol. Even 10% would work on the fuel system lines and carb parts. You may have lucked out with that 24 year old pump having the newer type material. In the mid 80's I went through 3 kits within a year until I found out the station I was buying from was using alcohol laced fuels. Alcohol fuels are more corrosive than straight gasoline. It does have a higher octane rating but takes more volume to produce the same results. Even with just 10%, you will usually see a reduction in mileage....and if you don't believe all that, just ask any racer that uses alcohol for fuel what they have to do to maintain their fuel system.

Cant compare methanol to ethanol. Methanol is way more corrosive than ethanol. The highest octane rating I have in my area is 89. Like I said, been running 10% ethanol in everything for 24 years, with no problems.

Auto Transport Service
Back