• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a problem

steve from staten island

Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
Well actually i dont as my wife scan came back good and I'm ok but i need car advise. This F-ing car is beating me up. Long story short is it definitely has a knock in the motor, Ive been around enough to know what i hear is no lifter its a knock and i suspect a rod. It knocks when its hot or cold. Its not bad and you wont hear it with the hood shut but its knocking near #1 cylinder. The engine runs ok and has no blow bye. I went cheap at the time as money was tight. The block is a 383 out of a 1970 and had the cylinder bored 30 over and the crank cut. It had rebuilt TRW rods and new pistons. It was very dirty and when i took it apart the rods were tight on pistons. I soaked them in oil and loosened them up. I put the motor back together. The heads were done by a competent shop. I had the motor run on a test stand and all was well. But then again it was loud. Either way it has the knock.
I have the original block which has never been bored or had the crank cut. I ran it when i first got the car and pressure checked the system with a radiator pressure checker and there were no leaks or blown head gasket
So my thinking is get that short block rebuilt and maybe next winter switch things around. My question is who should i send the motor to. I was thinking of contacting Carolina engine rebuilders sending the everything and telling them build me a stock engine. I really have no idea right now as very soon the car is going to get the top done, windshield installed, side glass adjusted and whatever else
I cant wait anymore to drive this car, its been way to many years and I'm getting to old, so whats anybody's thoughts on what should i do with the motor and thanks for the help

Have you thought about a crate engine? would you rather put the original back in? You Have a few options

Pull the valve covers and try to locate the problem, turn engine over and try and find loose pushrod/rockerarm. maybe a flat cam lobe, bad lifter, fuel pump actuating rod. pull plugs and check compression and write down results. Is the oil pressure fluctuating?. You CAN start the engine while valve cover is off to see or hear something and maybe use a stethoscope or a long screwdriver and put your ear on the handle while touching the end to different areas but don't get caught in the belts or fan! Good luck

NY is a fur piece from them.
But ,if you send it to CME, let them handle the shipping.
I think the get good deals on that.
Work looks good too.

Yeah, I just looked real quick, saw 383 short block for about 3K, complete engine(less accessories)for 5K. HP ratings 383 to 400.

Maybe you have a carbon buildup on a piston?? Water thru the carb while at 2-3000rpm is a very cheap check.

Steve, on the distributor cap, pull back all the plug wire boots so the wires can be disconnected easily from the cap. Pull each wire one at a time, out of the cap so the clip on the the wire, don't hold it into the connection in the cap. Then just place the wire back into the cap terminal so little effort can be used to pull the wire out of the cap. Run the engine to where the knock is apprent. One at a time pull a wire off and listen to hear if the noise changes. The one that does change the noise is your problem cylinder. You could have a rod bearing bad , piston slap or a piston pin loose. This is a first step before you start pulling things appart. Note: You might get bit by the secondary voltage in the wires, but it's nothing a big boy can't handle.

Thanks Ski only one of those places are not that far away. I actually have a idea who id bring my block to now. Its a totally stock engine but i want it done correctly

Gee Stevie,
I'm actually shipping a block to "Butler Performance" in Tennessee
But, you have a luxury in the fact that I live in a remote place, Edwards AFB and Los Angeles in 90 miles away, Bakersfield CA is 85 miles away
Gee, isn't Nunzi in Brooklyn still in business?

Anybody?

Steve ... as mentioned above I recommend you pull your fuel pump rod and check it for proper length.

You might get bit by the secondary voltage in the wires, but it's nothing a big boy can't handle.
Almost every time I have been popped by a coil it wasn't the shock that hurt, it was hitting my head on the hood that hurt worse!

Auto Transport Service
Back