• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anybody seen one of these tags

Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
20161215_215420.jpg
Hey everyone I was hoping to get some information about this tag. I found it on my 67 charger...I guess this means it is not a numbers matching car

View attachment 379270 Hey everyone I was hoping to get some information about this tag. I found it on my 67 charger...I guess this means it is not a numbers matching car

This was a rebuild by Automotive Engineering. I remember in the SF Bay Area, this company use to advertise in the newspapers. There were locations in other areas as well (LA for sure). The Bay Area facility was in Oakland. Most of the time, people (or a repair shop) gave them their blown motors and received a rebuilt one but I do know 2 people that took their motors there and had the originals rebuilt so there's a chance yours could be the original. Check your numbers.

How cool!

Come on over to the "Welcome Wagon" thread and tell us about your car and post pictures.

:welcome: aboard!

That looks real similar to the warranty block tag on my 67 318 Wagon.

Even riveted to the block the same way, in the same spot.

Could it have been rebuilt by a dealership?

What's the casting date on your block?

Does it jive with the build date on your fender tag?

Those are the only "numbers" you get on pre-1968.

That looks real similar to the warranty block tag on my 67 318 Wagon.

Even riveted to the block the same way, in the same spot.

Could it have been rebuilt by a dealership?

What's the casting date on your block?

Does it jive with the build date on your fender tag?

Those are the only "numbers" you get on pre-1968.

Usually, mnfr warranty motors will have a blank ID pad whereas Automotive Engineering rebuilt used motors.

67's just need date-coded engines.

This was a rebuild by Automotive Engineering. I remember in the SF Bay Area, this company use to advertise in the newspapers. There were locations in other areas as well (LA for sure). The Bay Area facility was in Oakland. Most of the time, people (or a repair shop) gave them their blown motors and received a rebuilt one but I do know 2 people that took their motors there and had the originals rebuilt so there's a chance yours could be the original. Check your numbers.
Thanks for the details. This makes sense. I know the car has spent it's entire life in the Bay area. Now I have to find the casting under all the gunk.

Thanks everybody for the replies I am glad to have found this group. I can tell there is a wealth of knowledge just waiting for me to ask the question.

Well that pic answers the numbers matching question.
My cousin bought this car brand new off the lot. When the engine needed a rebuild he took it to a shop in the Mountain view area and paid to have his engine rebuilt. He always suspected that they didn't do a rebuild and just swapped engines. Now I know for sure.

20161216_125944.jpg

...but back to the"matching" scenario for a 67....

All you need to do is find a block/engine (and accessories) that has a casting date a few months before the build date of your car, and.........voila, you now have a "matching numbers" car.

That's the beauty of pre-1968.5

It actually needs to have an assembly date within 90 days of your cars spd date. This will make the casting date prior too.

They are two different things.

I also have a 383 here out of a 1968 charger that lived in Oakland ca all it's life with the same tag on the block.

I replaced it with an edelbrock headed 440

Auto Transport Service
Back