• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever had a leak free Mopar???

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:52 PM
Reaction score
I've owned my 67 GTX for about 15 years now and at one time or another replaced most gaskets in it - valve covers, intake, valley pan, oil pan, oil pump/filter mount, fuel pump, etc, etc. Also rebuilt the transmission with special attention to preventing leaks and rebuilt the rear end with same attention to preventing leaks. Replace master cylinder and all brake components over the years. Recored the radiator and replaced all hoses as well as the heater coil. Rebuilt the factory AC and replaced all seals, o-rings, drier, etc, etc. Amazingly it's going on about 12 years now and never needed more R12 yet. Rebuilt the power steering pump and had the steering box professionally rebuilt.

Damn thing still drips now and then. The power steering pump has never been completely dry since re-sealing so I guess I will tackle it again. Drove into the drive way yesterday trailing a trail of transmission fluid which thankfully was just the return line fitting on the transmission that loosened when I moved the line some to replace the starter. The valve covers had loosened up and some oil was coming down from them. Still have some oil coming from somewhere around the front - hard to tell just where - oil pan or front timing cover seal. The oil pan gaskets face (windage tray sandwiched between gaskets) looks wet so it's suspicious. It seems like a never-ending challenge.

Has anyone ever dried up a Mopar completely?

My new 2016 (dealer lot stock) Ram 1500 has been leak free for 7 days now...

Reminds me of a phrase a mopar guy said" If it's not leaking, it's out of oil"! I spent multiple thousands having the engine redone (was seriously overcharged in my view) but glad to say after a couple months zero leaks. I don't expect it to last. As I'm sure you know super close attention to gasket sealer assuring the gasket surfaces are clean and careful torqueing of bolt pattern involved; about all you can do far as I know unless we're talking some other issues such as defects...

i have gotten the 440 in my van pretty close. it has some minor seeping here and there but not enough to make it to the ground. now my coronet and my truck are another story.

I have but it never last long lol.

Finished in 1992,never a drop of anything ever !
P Ville 92.jpg

I've had several old Mopars that didn't leak.....

The best way to get your Mopar not to leak is very simple, and quite a few people at shows employ this technique.......don't put any fluids in it! You'll never have a problem with leaking. Lol!!

My 99' Cummins doesn't leak, nor the trans and diffs.

It seems as if the factory didn't give a **** about gasket sealing until the Magnum 5.2 and 5.9 engines came along.
My 440/493 has aluminum valve covers that do seal well but the oil pan gasket...the P/S pump...sometimes even the front seal at the crankshaft still lose a bit. The trans dipstick tube weeps despite a cleaning and thin layer of RTV. The pan seals well because of the more modern plastic gasket with rubber ribs in it.
My 291,000 Ram 1500 5.7 does not leak at all. The factory could have had this success in the 60s and 70s if customers bitched enough.

The newer stuff is better for not leaking, but it is at a trade off. Now the stupid oil pans rust out! Just had to replace the pan on my 05 cummins last winter! That never happened when they had a protective layer of oil and grease on the outside haha.

My Dakotas don't leak. . . . Much anyway.
If it doesn't leave evidence on the ground. It doesn't count as a leak IMO

Auto Transport Service
Back