• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone purchased a new gas can lately?

Don't get me started. The last one I bought has a green notch sleeve which you turn to line up the slots so you can push the nozzle down. Garbage.

I designed those plastic cans. We had a big hand in inventing and designing products for a company called Blitz in Miami, Oklahoma. The idea was to get the most amount of volume in the smallest amount of plastic expenditure. They were extremely popular in the 90's when they came out. Dumb-asses kept catching themselves on fire and the spouts became more and more complex. Eventually lawyers drove Blitz out of business and the tooling was sold to overseas concerns.

If you hate the spouts slap a lawyer next time you meet one.

New gas cans totally suck monkey balls! I have saved all my nozzles to use on new cans

Only this I like is the shut off feature when filling the garden tractors. The thing really needs a vent.

It did have a little yellow plastic snap vent on the opposite corner. I remember that vent having to go through drop testing.

Just bought one too. Yes I agree they suck. Tractor supply sells a kit that reverts them back into the good old tanks. New nozzle and vent cap. I think it was 10 bucks. Well worth it!

It isn't red, but these will work fine also.

https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-04933-Water-Can-5-Gallon/dp/B000MTI0GA

71Clx-WiECS._SL1500_.jpg

I, too, bought a 5 gallon can with that spring-loaded spout.
My hose cutter cured it! Pulled the collar down, cut the end off, threw the collar and spring in the trash. Cut the reduced end of the spout clean, and shoved a length of 5/8" heater hose on it. Also used a sheet metal screw to make a vent.

Might have been a better idea...but don't cut it, having to get past a license plate.

Go to tractor supply and they sell a fit to change them like the old cans. have to drill one hole for the vent

You can thank scumbag lawyers and the government for those useless cans (and the steep price for $0.50 worth of molded plastic). The gas can company this guy references (Blitz) was bankrupted by lawyers for idiots that got burned pouring gas on open campfires....obviously the resulting burns and explosions are due to defective gas cans, right?

From the Wall Street Journal 5 years ago...............

The Tort Bar Burns On
A case study in modern robbery: Targeting the red plastic gas can.
July 22, 2012 6:25 p.m. ET

Like 19th century marauders, the trial bar attacks any business it thinks will cough up money in its raids. The latest victims are the people who make those red plastic gasoline cans.

Until recently, Blitz USA-the nation's No. 1 consumer gasoline-can producer, based in Miami, Oklahoma-was doing fine. It's a commoditized, low-margin business, but it's steady. Sales normally pick up when hurricane season begins and people start storing fuel for back-up generators and the like.

Blitz USA has controlled some 75% of the U.S. market for plastic gas cans, employing 117 people in that business, and had revenues of $60 million in 2011. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has never deemed Blitz's products unsafe.

Then the trial attorneys hit on an idea with trial-lawyer logic: They could sue Blitz when someone poured gas on a fire (for instance, to rekindle the flame) and the can exploded, alleging that the explosion is the result of defects in the can's design as opposed to simple misuse of the product. Plaintiffs were burned, and in some cases people died.

Blitz's insurance company would estimate the cost of years of legal battles and more often than not settle the case, sometimes for millions of dollars. But the lawsuits started flooding in last year after a few big payouts. Blitz paid around $30 million to defend itself, a substantial sum for a small company. Of course, Blitz's product liability insurance costs spiked.

In June, Blitz filed for bankruptcy. All 117 employees will lose their jobs and the company-one of the town's biggest employers-will shutter its doors. Small business owners have been peppering the local chamber of commerce with questions about the secondary impact on their livelihoods.

The tort-lawsuit riders leading the assault on Blitz included attorneys Hank Anderson of Wichita Falls, Texas; Diane Breneman of Kansas City, Missouri; and Terry Richardson of Barnwell, South Carolina. All told, they've been involved in more than 30 lawsuits against Blitz in recent years.

The rest of the plastic-can industry can't be far behind, so long as there's any cash flow available. The American Association for Justice's (formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America) annual conference in Chicago this month will feature, with a straight face, a meeting of the "gas cans litigation group."

The Atlantic hurricane season started June 1, and Blitz estimates that demand for plastic gas cans rises 30% about then. If consumers can't find the familiar red plastic can, fuel will have to be carried around in heavy metal containers or ad-hoc in dangerous alternatives, such as coolers.

Trial lawyers remain a primary funding source for the Democratic Party, but stories like this cry out for a bipartisan counter-offensive against these destructive raids that loot law-abiding companies merely because our insane tort laws make them vulnerable.

I like to push her button!

I just bought one from TSC and it had a spout that you turn to lock open. Good idea?

First time I used it that pos leaked all over the place. Now what's more dangerous, a can that pours correctly or one that leaks all over the place?

Back in 73-75 I worked in a Chevron Station along a major California Highway (101). Occasionally, the CHP would bring in a stranded (out of gas) motorist. Since they did not want to purchase a gas can for one time use, we would fill an empty Prestone anti-freeze jug with a gallon of gas, screw the top on snug, and the CHP would take them back to their car.

A few years back I ran out of gas one night on the highway and only had an anti-freeze jug (with water in it). I dumped out the water and walked to the nearest service station. I put the gas filler hose in the jug, but nothing came out. The service station employee refused to turn the pump on because I did not have an "approved" gasoline container. I think I raised hell (and told him the above CHP story) and finally I got the gas I needed in the anti-freeze container. I suspect the plastic is the same, just a different color. I have never seen gasoline melt those type of containers anyway. I would like to know if anyone else has had a different experience. I do see the logic in not transporting gasoline in glass containers.

Got me one of these . . .

555-80211.jpg

Optional filler tube if needed . . .

s-l300.jpg

Back in 73-75 I worked in a Chevron Station along a major California Highway (101). Occasionally, the CHP would bring in a stranded (out of gas) motorist. Since they did not want to purchase a gas can for one time use, we would fill an empty Prestone anti-freeze jug with a gallon of gas, screw the top on snug, and the CHP would take them back to their car.

A few years back I ran out of gas one night on the highway and only had an anti-freeze jug (with water in it). I dumped out the water and walked to the nearest service station. I put the gas filler hose in the jug, but nothing came out. The service station employee refused to turn the pump on because I did not have an "approved" gasoline container. I think I raised hell (and told him the above CHP story) and finally I got the gas I needed in the anti-freeze container. I suspect the plastic is the same, just a different color. I have never seen gasoline melt those type of containers anyway. I would like to know if anyone else has had a different experience. I do see the logic in not transporting gasoline in glass containers.

Back in the 80's, in Maryland, I had one of those corrugated five gallon kerosene cans. The attendant wouldn't put gas in it for me. So I asked him for masking tape and a marker. He supplied, I applied and wrote "Gasoline" on it. Got my gas.

Maryland is the East Coast's mini California. They'll try to adapt every law that California comes up with.

Auto Transport Service
Back