• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have questions about sliding glass door install.

Cncguy1

Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
So i bought a vinyl sliding glass door that also has a vinyl nailing fin. Seems easy enough but I'm not sure what to do about trimming the door. On the exterior Do nail brick mold through the nailing fin? Also on the inside do I nail wood trim to the vinyl? I'm confident I can install the door just not sure how to finish.

I really like these new construction vidios. But just who is going to take the existing siding off, rape the house and then install peel and stick.
Realistically it should happen but at the going rate to install a door here do not count on it.

I have replaced 27 windows in my house since I bought it in 1985. All vinyl windows including 3 6'x6' and a sliding door.
My house is 70+ years old and current recommendations for proper mounting and sealing did not apply for me.
In each case I had to modify the opening to fit the nearest size window to fit. (Did not see the point for ordering custom sizes). Adding the right thickness wood to the rough opening was easy and caulking every place needed is also easy.
As for finishing?--Nailing everything past the window nailing flange is not needed (IMO) given the great variety of adhesives we have to chose from these days. Trim is not a part of the structure but on the outside caulking/sealing is important and needs to be complete.
Trim on the inside just needs to look nice and adhesives don't leave nail holes.

Last edited:
What kind of car are you installing this on??

I really like these new construction vidios. But just who is going to take the existing siding off, rape the house and then install peel and stick.
Realistically it should happen but at the going rate to install a door here do not count on it.

$2100. plus materials all day long !!, Trim it with 2x6 Simple and it looks Clean

Auto Transport Service
Back