• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header make?

fwi

Local time
10:58 AM
Reaction score
Picked these up at MATS yesterday, seller told me they came off a 1965 Belvedere 383. Mfg stamp reads Direct Connect with two arrows pointing at each other, the #9436 is clearly visible. I've searched online but not much info on them other than possibly made by Doug's or American Racing.....Any knowledge on these, who made them and will they fit my 383?
IMG_0844.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG

Last edited:
I flipped your pic to compare the driver side header.
20170423_192027.jpg

This is the Headman header. Notice #1 tube position on the collector.
20170308_172524.png

This is the Doug's header. #1 tube goes to the outside of the collector.
20170308_185324.png

Thanks. Looks a lot like the Headman, can you do that with the pax side?

Thanks for posting this:thumbsup: Looks like they were made by Headman. I will probably have to beat them in :BangHead:
They will install fairly easy, from the bottom.

The problem I found with Headman was the starter clearance. I believe they were designed for the original, large starter and not so much for the mini starter. I know that doesn't make sense but it's what I've seen in my researching. Also from my own experience trying to use a mini on a set of old Headman's.

They will install fairly easy, from the bottom.

The problem I found with Headman was the starter clearance. I believe they were designed for the original, large starter and not so much for the mini starter. I know that doesn't make sense but it's what I've seen in my researching. Also from my own experience trying to use a mini on a set of old Headman's.

I have the stock starter....have to clean them up a bit and paint first. Thanks for your input.

Which brings me to the next point.....after reading up on older "header" posts here, there was mention of BBQ paint.....is this something that would actually work or any better options available, mine is not a show car.

Which brings me to the next point.....after reading up on older "header" posts here, there was mention of BBQ paint.....is this something that would actually work or any better options available, mine is not a show car.
I think Rustoluem has the highest heat range. They have two different bbq paints but one was a higher temp.

Then on YouTube I saw a guy curing a set with transmission oil!

Wonder what the smoke point temp is on tranny oil !

Auto Transport Service
Back