• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlights... Not Making Them Like They Used To?

Bruzilla

Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
Last year, I upgraded the Roadrunner to relays for the headlights. I also had to replace one of the God-Only-Knows-How-Old low beam lamps that was burned out. I put in a new lamp from Auto Zone.

The other night, I was driving home and a guy next to me told me I had a light out. Turns out it was the lamp I had replaced about a year before. I don't do a lot of driving, especially at night, so this lamp only had maybe 20 hours of use.

I was wondering if this was just a lemon or if lamps are just being made so cheaply today that getting a full 12 Volts is more than they can handle?

I'm not so sure they're all being made correctly. Went through about 3 within a 2 year period on the driver low beam on my daily 81 trans am. Alternators too, about to drive to oreilleys to buy my 5th alternator in the past two and a half years. This last one lasted a month

Headlights should last at 12v with no problem and even more. This is nuts.....and my 95 Dakota is still on it's original alternator and head light. Watch em all burn out now. Is there anywhere that you could have the original old style alternator rebuilt?

Since your already on relay's why dont you go the Hella route and do the H3 bulb setup?

Nothing is made to last today. All are engineered to fail.

It could be a bad batch of Chineseium.

Maybe it's your torsion bar suspension being to stiff? Lol. ++1 on the chinesesium.

Auto Transport Service
Back