• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP! Brake Booster

Evoking

Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
My power brakes required a hard push even with Wilwood discs and master cylinder. Someone suggested I remove the booster check valve right after shutting off engine. He said if I hear a hiss the booster is working, if I don't it is bad.

Well the valve came off but I couldn't tell if it broke off as there was still a piece in there. When I touched the piece that was still there I heard a hiss and it instantly vanished and I heard a sound like the ball in a spray paint can. I assume it got sucked in.

Now I'm frozen on what to do next. If I start it does the piece get further sucked in and damage braking system? If I start without reconnecting to I get detonation? Can the hose still be connected by wedging it in?

I am afraid to start and move the car! Any help much appreciated!

IMG_7797.JPG IMG_7799.JPG IMG_7798.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think there is a risk of detonation.. Which way did the piece go? Into the hose or fell into the booster? I'm not sure I fully understand. Either way pull it off from the intake or carb depending on where the other end is hooked up.

Then dump out the hose to see if its in there. Otherwise if something fell into the booster there is a chance that it could puncture the "bladder" inside causing a leaking booster.

I think it went into the booster as I heard a sound like something inside a can.

Do I need to wedge the hose back in before starting? Of the piece is in the booster would starting it damage something?

If the piece is inside the booster and you have no vacuum to it you could be safe. But your brakes will be like trying to stop a tank. Hard pedal. You can just temporarily plug the hose with a bolt. But you need to get that piece out of the booster.

Auto Transport Service
Back