• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Carb Removal for Cleaning

68Zero

Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Like the title says, need some help with removing my carb for cleaning. I am a complete newbie with it, but have a 750 Demon, need some guidance on taking it off to get it cleaned up and try to clean out some of the gunk in there. Before getting the car from my dad, it sat unstated for a bit. Attached some pictures to help, thanks!

IMG_3106.jpeg

IMG_3107.jpeg

IMG_3109.jpeg

With no choke plate and a cold engine that would be normal.
How does it act when warmed up ?

There is no choke in your carb, and you live in NY state, so it is not going to like cold starts. Once started, let the engine warm up a little bit before giving the gas pedal a stab.

Welcome. We're all glad to be of help. If you're not sure of remove/reinstall carb procedures, not sure if you'd be up to do a rebuild. But, first things first. Do you have FRESH fuel in the system ( tank to carb ) ?

There is no choke in your carb, and you live in NY state, so it is not going to like cold starts. Once started, let the engine warm up a little bit before giving the gas pedal a stab.
So on the cold start I'll get the pop, it has gotten better over time, when I first got it running was popping more on the cold start.

For hitting the gas a lot, I wait till I'm on the road and engine is warmed up and get the pop and power loss.

I've cycled in about 1.5 - 2 full tanks of gas (93 octane).

I was going to hold off on rebuild, but take it off, get some carb cleaner in the main section and remount to see if that helps.

Does that carb have a power valve like a Holley? Usually, one good backfire, and the power valve was done.

I think those Demon's have power valve blow out protection but that is not 100% effective.
Also they can dry out from sitting around and rupture.
Good point posted - replace the power valve.

Amen. For heavens' sake, one never "floors" a cold engine...

Amen. For heavens' sake, one never "floors" a cold engine...
lol, yea never floored on cold, only ever once its been on the road for a bit and engine's at temp.

For power valve replacement, looks like taking off front section and comes out there?

@steve340 I will check that as well, see if it's sitting snug or could use some adjustment.

There are plenty of tutorials on You Tube from good people who will show you what to do and what you may need to replace.
Basic work on a carb is not hard so it pays to learn yourself.

There are plenty of tutorials on You Tube from good people who will show you what to do and what you may need to replace.
Basic work on a carb is not hard so it pays to learn yourself.
Yep - and the tech data on the carb is readily available for download online as well.
I'd suggest both what Steve said as well as having a printed copy of those instructions at hand when
pulling the carb apart.
Wouldn't hurt to have a friend handy with a bit more mechanical experience nearby, too.
Good luck!

A Demon is very similar to a Holley and gaskets/parts are interchangeable. It is kind of a copy just so you know.
Holley also post tech tips on You Tube.

Curious, is this an open port or a mounting point for the electric choke?

IMG_3025.jpeg

For the most part yes, I’m getting a pop on cold start and when flooring it
, will get a pop and have a sort of dump and lose power, but not stall.
Made bad accelerator pump gasket on primary bowl

For the most part yes, I’m getting a pop on cold start and when flooring it
, will get a pop and have a sort of dump and lose power, but not stall.
If ya lived in IA I’d say bring over and I’d rebuild with ya so you could learn but it’s a pretty easy carb. Count your turns on idle mixture screws if you remove so you install same way in

Auto Transport Service
Back