• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help restoring my dashboard!

NIN900RR

Local time
8:03 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Thanks for helping me get my dash out, now I need to pick some brains for advice. My Roadrunner originally had a green interior, but since I am changing the color of the outside, I want to make the interior factory black. I need to know what the correct color is for the metal frame of the dash. Also the lower dash someone installed a radio in it and made holes is there some way to fix it or can I get a new black one from some where? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

i have a 69 RR with tan interior and the dash frame on that is tan/gold,also have a 69 RR with black interior and the dash frame on that is black.hope that helps.

More Specific

I guess I should be more specific, is the metal dash frame on a factory black interior is it dull or glossy, can anybody recomend a good black color and who makes it?

All the ones I've seen have a slight texture to them.

To me, it really stands out when someone just paints them with regular gloss, or even semi- or flat paint.

I remember seeing (somewhere) some factory formulas for specific texturing agents, that are supposed to be added to the paint for various interior surfaces.

I used high temp Rustoleum primer and satin black engine enamel on my dash and it came out looking great.
Believe the proper tints and everything are listed in the Charger/Roadrunner/Super Bee restoration guide (from the 90's by Paul Herd) but have heard that there are inaccuracies in the book.

I recently went through the same deal as you with a color change on my 'Runner. You want to use SEM Trim Black for the dash, particularly for the top of the frame. Everything else I've seen seems to glossy IMO.

The proper paint is called suede and it does have a texture, but a very mild texture - not like wrinkle paint. I'm in the peoples republic of CA and pretty much everything is illegal - except for pot, various drugs, illegal aliens and LGBT accomplishments in schools. Since I was unable to get the correct black formula with the texture additive I just got the PPG 9324 without texture and faked it by putting the last coat on dry. It came out good and you can sort of see the faked textured area below the glove box.

Attachments

• DSC01511 (Small).JPG
    DSC01511 (Small).JPG
    51 KB · Views: 780
SEM Landau black is actually the next closest thing to the Suede Black. I used the SEM trim black at first and then got a tip that the landau black was closer and it is. I liked the color match better.

Rattlecan organosol is real close... Totally Auto sells it. You'll need two cans.

How did you get your dash out? Did the windshield need to come out?

Yes. If you're looking to remove the entire dashboard you will have to remove your windshield.

I will be updating my thread in the restoration forum regarding the refinishing of my instrument cluster and dash bezels. This will happen in the next few weeks. The car is in the final stages of assembly at the body shop following a full re-spray.

I have heard some say that bbq grill paint is a decent match for the texture and sheen level for the dash. should be easy enough to find and try on something to see if it will be what you are looking for.

OK, so I picked up some SEM Landau Black. It says it is a flexible paint for plastic and vinyl. Is this what you used to paint the metal dash frame, ashtray and glove box??

OK, so I picked up some SEM Landau Black. It says it is a flexible paint for plastic and vinyl. Is this what you used to paint the metal dash frame, ashtray and glove box??

the entire metal frame is SEM hot rod black. it is a kit. I have done a couple of these and A body dashes and I believe its as close as possible without getting concourse correct. and its readily available.

- - - Updated - - -

I think its pretty close.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, the switch panel is a different finish.

Attachments

• 20150403_115904.jpg
    20150403_115904.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 358
  • 20150403_115848.jpg
    20150403_115848.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 357
The proper paint is called suede and it does have a texture, but a very mild texture - not like wrinkle paint.

Just an FTI, the Suede Black paint is available here, http://www.instrument-specialties.com/products/manufacturers/chrysler/, its called, PPG Duracryl Suede Lacquer.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what it looks like, it does have extremely small bit of silver metal flake in it, which is only noticeable when in bright light, and it does have a fine texture when sprayed properly.
IMAG1595small.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back