• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hide Away Headlight Motor

72 charger

Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 72 charger with hideaway headlights and have screwed around with the motor a few times trying to get it to work. The motor itself in terms of winding's and operation I believe to be good; I took it to a local electric motor repair shop and had them look over it. But several years ago when I put it back in to the car it would make the relay chatter so I just left it disconnected and left the headlight covers up. Ive messed with it more recently and found diagrams for it it my chassis manual show the limit switches and how they should be oriented. I did my best to orient them as show in the manual but I still think they are slightly out of whack as the motor will get the headlight covers to about 50% then quit then if you give the covers a slight push it will open the rest of the way but then after a few seconds it will make the relay chatter like the limits are not set correctly. Bottom line does anyone know if they make replacement ones that aren't so bent up and maybe in better shape than mine? I see rebuilt motors for sale from time to time but for a decent amount of coin so im trying to avoid that. Thanks
IMG_3986[1].JPG
IMG_3987[1].JPG

Your limit switch is not tripping or sticking causing the chatter I bet— been there done that.. I repaired it myself, cleaned it all up and been fine since also make sure you have it in sync per fsm. I don’t recall how but that’s all I use. Good luck it will take a few tries

Auto Transport Service
Back