• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hopeful in California

Tori

Local time
10:28 PM
Reaction score
IMG_5052.JPG
Hi guys. Newbie stopping in to say hello and introduce myself. Longtime car guy, but aside from my Cummins, never been a Dodge guy. ...well unless you count the 3 years selling parts at the dealer. ;)
Anyway.... longtime lover of the 71-72 Roadrunner. In '82 my brothers best friend had a red one, with the black stripes at rear quarters. Cragars, traction bars, the works. LOL. That image was etched into my primitive brain, and I just can't forget it.
So, I'm on the hunt. I'm not a stickler for #'S matching, and a clone will be just fine. I've got other classics that cover those bases, and quite frankly I don't even want it to look nice. I want it dripping, or maybe I should say flaking with patina. Sun dried, faded, and just a hint of surface rust would totally turn my crank.
I have no intention to have it shiny and new, but will have the drivetrain dialed in.

Plans would be to have the interior nice, complete, and fully functional. I'd prefer a manual trans for the full "muscle car experience" but will settle for a slush box.
I see people here don't poo-poo on clones which is refreshing to see. I wonder if it would be completely ludicrous to do a modern drivetrain in one. Say maybe a 5.7 Hemi and matching overdrive tranny? Surely that has been done before? Thoughts on that?

I have a car in mind, but am still getting info on it. Supposedly a 318 car. Satty/clone. Were all the 71-72's drum brakes all the way around? Looks like disc conversions are the common thing to do. What's the cost to do a conversion? I've done a few conversations to other types of cars with parts from donor cars and that was fairly inexpensive.
Guess I'll end this for now...looks like a novel on my phone.

Cheers!

Hey Tori - welcome to FBBO from sunny SoCal. I see you're from sunny Pismo Beach- sweet area. Good luck with your purchase of a b body. You won't be sorry you came over to the dark side.....

Welcome to the madness . . .

Put a 5.7 in a B-body . . . hummm . . .

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. The car above is in Wisconsin. Any members there that could go kick tires?

Welcome to the madness . . .

Put a 5.7 in a B-body . . . hummm . . .

Conv67bdere, care to share your thoughts? Is that a good "hummm" or bad "hummm" ?
You won't hurt my feelings. ;)

Who else is in California? I've seen a few other posts from fellow Californians...

Welcome. 95125. The 340 would be just fine. The 71 up B Bodies are by Chrysler designer
John Herlitz. Beautiful car.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. The car above is in Wisconsin. Any members there that could go kick tires?

Conv67bdere, care to share your thoughts? Is that a good "hummm" or bad "hummm" ?
You won't hurt my feelings. ;)

Who else is in California? I've seen a few other posts from fellow Californians...

Take a look at my signature . . .
1967 Belvedere Convertible - project "Mad Scientist Build" ( yeah it'll have a HEMI, MagnumForce, 6-speed )

And feel free to check out my build thread . . .

Take a look at my signature . . .
1967 Belvedere Convertible - project "Mad Scientist Build" ( yeah it'll have a HEMI, MagnumForce, 6-speed )

And feel free to check out my build thread . . .

Ahhh, so you're trying to copy me. :)

I'll have to check that out. Looks like you dont see sigs. when using the phone app.

Howdy from Oregon. I like your plan on the patina. We have a couple of original paint cars that have been painted with a satin clear coat, looks bitchen.

Howdy from Oregon. I like your plan on the patina. We have a couple of original paint cars that have been painted with a satin clear coat, looks bitchen.

Cool. as long as it's not too shiny, i might be up for that. Do you have any pictures of them ? Maybe that's what i should have done to my Renault 4CV. Here's a pic of it,.... well me hand cranking it. - cant find any better pictures of it at the moment, but you get the idea. People loved this thing, and it's appearance was 1/2 of the appeal.
hqdefault.jpeg

Hey, Howyadoin? Welcome, I have no love for that state and even less for the people still in it. I also pity the people that are to blind to leave that God forsaken place. I once lived there and got the hell out! Good Luck

Can someone point me to where i can decode the VIN or data plate ?

EDIT- Nevermind, found one.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back