• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horn blows by itself

HemiDavey426

Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
my friends 68 Charger is acting weird. The horn starts to blow by itself! I started the engine and was warming it and the horn was trying to honk slightly, I pulled the button off, pulled the wire off the switch but it didn't help. Anyone encounter this before?

The horn button when pressed supplies a ground to the horn relay on the inner fender well. Because you disconnected the horn button wire and the horn still sounded, this means that the wire to the horn relay is being "grounded" elsewhere. Check the wiring from the horn relay backwards through the bulkhead connector to the horn button. Somewhere the wire is cut, chafed or abraded to the point it is in contact with metal and being grounded. I suspect there is a melted spot in the engine wiring harness, maybe around the alternator area where the horn wire has hit the manifold or header or been pinched.

Last edited:
The horn button when pressed supplies a ground to the horn relay on the inner fender well. Because you disconnected the horn button wire and the horn still sounded, this means that the wire to the horn relay is being "grounded" elsewhere. Check the wiring from the horn relay backwards through the bulkhead connector to the horn button. Somewhere the wire is cut, chafed or abraded to the point it is in contact with metal and being grounded. I suspect there is a melted spot in the engine wiring harness, maybe around the alternator area where the horn wire has hit the manifold or header.

Another possibility is that the horn RELAY itself is sticking and the contacts do not open when the ground is removed, ie., you stop pressing the horn button. A quick check here would be to remove the wire at the relay (BLK wire on "G" terminal of relay) coming from the horn button, not the hot wire from the battery. If the horns still sound, then the relay is sticking and should be replaced.

Last edited:
If i could blow by myself, I wouldnt need my Girlfriend.

Auto Transport Service
Back