• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to find out if someone is a good and honest mechanic?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:41 AM
Reaction score
Well the title basically says it all.
I will try to fix as many of the issues my car has on my own now after this recent expirience: (Read my last post, it gets even worse)
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/im-right-to-be-mad.197459/

Its just that at some point i will most likely need a pro with lots of expierence and knowledge for one thing or the other.

So if i should reach the point where i cant fix something myself (or might be to scared to do it alone) and need to visit a shop:
How can i find out/test if those people are fools and/or trying to rip me off or really know what they are doing and also take their time and do it right?

What would you do?
Asking others where to find a good mechanic in my area (no matter if on car shows or online) did not worked out well for me. (In different ways)

Word of mouth is the best way to find a good mechanic. Talk to people you who have used them and give them a try. 440'

Word of mouth is the best way to find a good mechanic. Talk to people you who have used them and give them a try. 440'

This has not worked out to well for me so far.
From getting no recommendation to getting recommended a crappy mechanic i've already had everything.
But i will keep trying if there is an opportunity.

But if you are at a shop and can speak with them.
Is there a way to figure out with what kind of people you are dealing?

This has not worked out to well for me so far.
From getting no recommendation to getting recommended a crappy mechanic i've already had everything.
But i will keep trying if there is an opportunity.

But if you are at a shop and can speak with them.
Is there a way to figure out with what kind of people you are dealing?
Pull a spark plug boot off of a plug, right before you take it in, if or when they call and say you need things OTHER than a spark plug boot re-attatched? Probably not very honest.

Pull a spark plug boot off of a plug, right before you take it in, if or when they call and say you need things OTHER than a spark plug boot re-attatched? Probably not very honest.

Thats a pretty good idea.

But any strategies on how to find out if they do good or crappy work prior to letting them work on my own car?
Especially if your in their shop and being able to talk to them and look a bit around? :)

Visit the shop and ask to look at what they are working on. The shop should be fairly well organized and not too filthy and their hourly rate should shock you. Even still, it will be a crap shoot.

Join a local mopar or muscle car club. They will know who to use and who to avoid. They will also likely help you work on the car yourself, this is what enthusiasts do, rather than just use paid mechanics. You'll find you can do a lot of the work yourself if you are mechanically minded.

Ya good luck. After many years I'm still trying to find one. I usually look for the muscle cars parked outside. Also I've gone to the local speed shop and asked them where their customers go.

Visit the shop. Speak with the owners and feel them out. Be observant.

Maybe give them a small, manageable, cheaper project at first and see how well that goes. Build a relationship and see how it develops. More often than not, a good mechanic is organized and has good examples of workmanship present at the shop. A good mechanic will have a solid reputation and a fully outfitted shop. People get themselves into trouble when they are rushed or rush themselves. I’m weary of big talkers cause in my field of work (machining), the real pros tend to let their work do the talking for them.

Good luck,

Blake

I replied in your earlier thread about some of my hassles and in two of the cases, the shops came highly recommended (even on this forum) and in one case I had little doubt the shop was fully capable, knew their stuff, and talked to guys having their old rides worked on there and were happy-happy. Problem is (understandably) these places are in it to make money fast as they can...in & out. In the case I cite, I even told the owner I'm in no rush to get the car, take your time please. Well, that's not in their mode of operation...car needs to be done and gone for room for the next one. The work I had done, I could do myself (minus the machine work) but decided since I had so much other resto work to do, I wanted to save my time getting that done to get it on the road again sooner. As such, I knew what they did and didn't do that royally pissed me off since I paid a premo price for the work. If a customer doesn't know much about cars, some of it likely would have gone unnoticed and maybe come back to haunt them a year or two later...after their warranty expired. I have a shop I've worked with for decades and a good place, know the owner as a friend, but he does very little work on ancient cars for what I came to understand as logical reasons. In any case, the more you know, the less likely you are to get ripped, then again still happens. I'm a good example.
If you have some problem you're not familiar with, do some homework on the net as there's most often a ton of good info on what it might be and how to fix it (including forums like ours). Have this knowledge when you take it in or in some cases gaining this knowledge has had me do the fix myself. Poor work by pro's isn't all that uncommon as again they're in biz to make a living and eek as much profit as they can. And if you can get recommendations or referrals and look at their service reviews looking up the biz all the better. You'll at least avoid some possible miss-steps...

Auto Transport Service
Back