• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to read your vehicle sequence number

jayfire

Local time
2:57 PM
Reaction score
I have a 68 GTX and am trying to figure out if it is an early build car or not. When looking at a sequence number, they all start with a 1. If mine is a 135777, does that mean it is the 35,777 GTX built, or any Plymouth car built that year? The fender tag has a 930 for build date, and has the 0-150 speedo, not 0-15. Am I correct in thinking this is an early build? Is there a way to find out what sequence of just GTX's this would fall under? Thanks

I am sure the numbers guys will jump on here but in the mean time, no the "35,777" is not all GTXs, it is the sequential number of cars built in that plant (all body styles)

I have a 68 GTX and am trying to figure out if it is an early build car or not. When looking at a sequence number, they all start with a 1. If mine is a 135777, does that mean it is the 35,777 GTX built, or any Plymouth car built that year? The fender tag has a 930 for build date, and has the 0-150 speedo, not 0-15. Am I correct in thinking this is an early build? Is there a way to find out what sequence of just GTX's this would fall under? Thanks
Production begins the first of August. 930 would be late September. Yours originally a 440 car? 16,673 made according to my book.

Production begins the first of August. 930 would be late September. Yours originally a 440 car? 16,673 made according to my book.
Yes, originally a 440 that was blown up in 1972. Now has a 68 426 with less than 30 miles on it. After the cost of building this engine, PO did not want to take any chances with racing or dyno, so kept it locked up for ever in Alaska!

They all started with 100001, so you would subtract that number from yours.

It is often, and erroneously, reported that VINs are related to production. A VIN is an administrative number unrelated to production. Cars were not built in sequential order. (it would be incredibly inefficient to do so and would serve no real purpose) Meaning, we cannot get any useful production information from a VIN.

This is the 35,777 VIN assigned. It could be the 32,678th car built or the 40,463rd car built at that plant for that model year. We will never know.

The 930 indicates a Scheduled Production date (SPD) This, too, is an administrative assignment and an estimate as to when the the plant projected the start of construction. For a variety of reasons, cars were built before and after the SPD. Your car could have been completed on September 21st or October 4th. We will likely never know the actual date of production.

A car with a September SPD would be considered an 'early' car.

How long would a once in started assembly would how long it take to roll off assembly line. My car was ordered 2/15/66. SPD was 3/8/66 delivered to dealer on 4/11/66. The 4/11/66 is a bit of a guess. Have a work order dated 4/12/66 to add a 3 spoke woodgrain steering wheel and a rear view mirror to D/N mirror and gas/brake pedal trim. Owner could've told dealer after he ordered car so they would be ready to change them?

Auto Transport Service
Back