• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove lower dash on 70 RR

bstan69rr

Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
Hello all. I haven't been on the site in a while, although I have been wearing out the A Body site.

Anyway, I bought a rusted out 70 RR POS. It has a 12 second engine, 4 speed and Dana rearend. It will all be dumped into my 69 RR. I will break some hearts when I tell y'all that I picked it up for $565. I had it for $500 until her son started crying about how he would miss it. I pulled out the additional $65 just to soothe a soul. I wish they would not have parked it under an oak tree 10 years ago. But then I woul have been pulling out at least $10,000 and probably closer to $20K.

So to my point, I am trying to salvage pieces that somebody might want. I am pulling out the 150 mph dash cluster, and I need to remove the lower dash "pad"--I guess that is what it is called. The first pic shows what I am talking about. Can someone give some advice on how to get this out? I have most of the gauges disconnected, but this is keeping me from pulling it out.

The other pics are some shots of the rest of the car. There is almost nothing left of the frame rails--as you might notice. I also want to remove the chrome trim above the side glass if anyone has some advice. I have never removed this trim, and it is not too obvious to me.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

BTW. if anyone needs anything that might not be too obvious, let me know. I have dibs on the drivetrain.

Sorry about the 3rd pic. I could not readily tell what it was, and I am the one that took the pic. LOL!!! Anyway, it is a sideways pic of the lower passenger doorframe. You can see the floor through the rusted out floorboard.

Forget what I posted your talking the pad and I never removed mine

Those parts are held on by philips head screws that screw in from the back side of the dash. If you use a mirror and a light, you should be able to see them. I use a long philips screw driver and it works OK, but it is a bit of a pain in the butt.

I need the trim on the side scoops. They are held on by two nuts on the back. Looks like this. PM me. Thanks.
img_7392-jpg.jpg

Also, what condition is the hood in? Rusted out too?

The hood is beyond my repair ability. The mount on one side is rusted out pretty good. If you think you could do something with it, I can go snap some pics.

The hood is beyond my repair ability. The mount on one side is rusted out pretty good. If you think you could do something with it, I can go snap some pics.
Thanks, but I don't want a project hood. What about the side scoops?

I pulled the radio, side air vents, middle air vent and map light. I took out the six screws that hold the heater and ac controls, but I am not even sure it is even worth it. The problem with these parts are if they survived this abuse, then they are probably in good condition in most other cars.

Are the dash bezels spoken for?
Can we see pictures when you get time

Cool thanks. Bon appetite !!!
Man, those side scoops are in a bad spot. I have all of the interior piled in the back seat, and I wasn't planning on taking it out. However, I will make sure I get them when I take it to the recycler. I am going to guess those scoops have plastic female ends and that they are easy to break???

Are the dash bezels spoken for?
Can we see pictures when you get time
Dash bezels? As in the chrome rollers for the lights and such?

They will probably go with the dash cluster. It is a 150 cluster but does not have a tach. It will need a total rebuild, but I would like to keep it all together. I will be researching prices on all of these parts, but I have a major project that will take me away from the cars for a while.

Man, those side scoops are in a bad spot. I have all of the interior piled in the back seat, and I wasn't planning on taking it out. However, I will make sure I get them when I take it to the recycler. I am going to guess those scoops have plastic female ends and that they are easy to break???
Those side scoops are pot metal like cast zinc, with two cast studs going through the quarter panel and two speed nuts on the inside. With the rear seat and inside panel out and window rolled up (I didn't check if you had a coupe or hard top) you can reach in and undo them. Because they aren't steel, they're usually not seized up.

Those side scoops are pot metal like cast zinc, with two cast studs going through the quarter panel and two speed nuts on the inside. With the rear seat and inside panel out and window rolled up (I didn't check if you had a coupe or hard top) you can reach in and undo them. Because they aren't steel, they're usually not seized up.

Thanks Photon440. You beat me to the explanation. They don't just pry off or pull out. If you try that the studs will snap off.

Auto Transport Service
Back