• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How was my Roadrunner project car optioned?

Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
Just picked up my 1969 Roadrunner project car. It is pretty much a rolling shell. I have title (and obviously the VIN) but no fender tag or build sheet. Is there a way I can determine what options this vehicle had on it when it was originally purchased besides the fender tag? Any web sites, research sources or maybe even Chrysler themselves? The VIN is RM23H9G29661. Thanks in advance...

is the glove box still in the dash ? I have found build sheets on top of the glove box liner on several cars, the one under the rear seats is usually the first to go, then there is one on top or the fuel tank , most of the time, but rust usually takes it out if the picture.

Guess you know the VIN posted was one digit short....not that it matters.

About the only way you can tell what was on the car is by looking at it. Is there a 3 speaker dash? Is there any wiring left in the car. Switch for glove box light? Fender mounted turn signals? Holes for vinyl top trim? etc etc etc

Do you get the "Mopar Collectors Guide"?. If you don't, pick up the last 6 issues or so. Mopar guy, Galen Govier is holding on to hundreds of build sheets that he has collected over the years that have gotten seperated from there cars and is now publishing them in the mag.. It is a long shot but I have been looking for mine there. You can also have them post your sheet as missing in that mag. and on this and other websites. You've got nothing to lose buy this sort of research and who knows, you might get lucky.
That being said, my `68 Road Runner didn't come with any documentation, was also a gutted rolling old race car(JUNKYARD DOG) and here is what I was able to figure out just by taking it apart and restoring it. 383, 4spd., no power steering or power brakes, L1 turquoise with a black bench interior, 26" radiator core support, which meens it had the heavy duty axle package which included a 3.55 sure grip and a 26" radiator and a shrouded clutch fan, dash and firewall have all the correct cut outs for a.c. and it has tinted glass. Also likely had the decor package because of the large tin accross the trunk lid. I have actually found evidence for all of this info just by the restoration process and I still wish to God I had the fender tag and build sheet because what a great list of options this car seemed to have. Check out my photo galleries to see what I started with. If it was a race car, try and find out where it was raced and if anyone knows who owned it, they might be holding documentation on the car, or the people before, find previous owners. I have found out mine was raced in north Florida and have actually talked to someone that knows someone that recognized my car, still following that leed. Nothing to lose right?.

Do you get the "Mopar Collectors Guide"?. If you don't, pick up the last 6 issues or so. Mopar guy, Galen Govier is holding on to hundreds of build sheets that he has collected over the years that have gotten seperated from there cars and is now publishing them in the mag.. It is a long shot but I have been looking for mine there. You can also have them post your sheet as missing in that mag. and on this and other websites. You've got nothing to lose buy this sort of research and who knows, you might get lucky.
That being said, my `68 Road Runner didn't come with any documentation, was also a gutted rolling old race car(JUNKYARD DOG) and here is what I was able to figure out just by taking it apart and restoring it. 383, 4spd., no power steering or power brakes, L1 turquoise with a black bench interior, 26" radiator core support, which meens it had the heavy duty axle package which included a 3.55 sure grip and a 26" radiator and a shrouded clutch fan, dash and firewall have all the correct cut outs for a.c. and it has tinted glass. Also likely had the decor package because of the large tin accross the trunk lid. I have actually found evidence for all of this info just by the restoration process and I still wish to God I had the fender tag and build sheet because what a great list of options this car seemed to have. Check out my photo galleries to see what I started with. If it was a race car, try and find out where it was raced and if anyone knows who owned it, they might be holding documentation on the car, or the people before, find previous owners. I have found out mine was raced in north Florida and have actually talked to someone that knows someone that recognized my car, still following that leed. Nothing to lose right?.
I have been following the broadcast sheets in MCG also , No luck yet on 3 cars

That may not necessarily be the case. If your car was an A/C car, the H.D. cooling could be a product of THAT rather than the axle package. MOST A/C cars were ordered with the H.D. cooling as well as all tinted glass.

Many people are not aware that the Super Bee in 1968 had a "package" sales code assigned to it of 361. It is shown simply as Super Bee package-available WM21 (build code only.) This can be confusing as this sales code is also used for other model packages as well AND is the sales code for the White Hat Special Package A. The 361 code will show up on the Super Bee broadcast sheet also. The "(build code only)" may be referring to the fact that the sales code was not really used as a "sales code" but rather as a broadcast sheet build code only.

In addition to the 4 speed floor hump (which is usually added when an auto is converted to a 4 speed) the 4 speed telltale that many are not aware of is the reinforcement on the firewall side for the clutch bracket.

That may not necessarily be the case. If your car was an A/C car, the H.D. cooling could be a product of THAT rather than the axle package. MOST A/C cars were ordered with the H.D. cooling as well as all tinted glass.

Many people are not aware that the Super Bee in 1968 had a "package" sales code assigned to it of 361. It is shown simply as Super Bee package-available WM21 (build code only.) This can be confusing as this sales code is also used for other model packages as well AND is the sales code for the White Hat Special Package A. The 361 code will show up on the Super Bee broadcast sheet also. The "(build code only)" may be referring to the fact that the sales code was not really used as a "sales code" but rather as a broadcast sheet build code only.

In addition to the 4 speed floor hump (which is usually added when an auto is converted to a 4 speed) the 4 speed telltale that many are not aware of is the reinforcement on the firewall side for the clutch bracket.

Many thanks, again a wealth of knowledge, but I would have been more than happy to go on thinking it was a heavy duty axle package car rather than having the big radiator just for the a.c.. You are so right though, I didn't think about that. Do you think it would have had the 048 radiator in it like the hemi and heavy axle group cars?. Definitely is a factory 4 spd, has reinforcement and the hump metal has the same turquoise paint on it like the floor pan.

Many thanks, again a wealth of knowledge, but I would have been more than happy to go on thinking it was a heavy duty axle package car rather than having the big radiator just for the a.c.. You are so right though, I didn't think about that. Do you think it would have had the 048 radiator in it like the hemi and heavy axle group cars?. Definitely is a factory 4 spd, has reinforcement and the hump metal has the same turquoise paint on it like the floor pan.

The only 26" radiator for a 1968 4 speed car that I am aware of being factory installed was the 048, so yes, weather it was caused by an axle package, HD cooling option with A/C, or Hemi engine it would be the same radiator.

I need to get those issuies Im missing my build sheet as well for my R/T. I wonder if I can email Galen.

The best thing to do it just restore the car as you take it apart or whats left of it and see what was really there and what was not.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I need to get those issuies Im missing my build sheet as well for my R/T. I wonder if I can email Galen.

The best thing to do it just restore the car as you take it apart or whats left of it and see what was really there and what was not.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Send me a P.M. with your vin and I'll check for it in the guide, it should only take 15 minutes or so.:HappyNewYear:

Try to track down past owners.I have tracked down 4 of my cars back to the original owners over the years.Past owners always have info.

Auto Transport Service
Back