• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HP Stamp on the block and block castings

peakandscoot

Local time
6:14 AM
Reaction score
I have a block an R 38 HP block. I know R stands for 1961 and 38 stands for 383. Those two are easy as to what they mean. HP stands for high performance. I get that but what is high performance. Certain components? and is the block in any way different. Its going to the machine shop and i would like to have an idea of what i actually have. Second question is does anyone one have knowledge of block castings more than what you read in the books. My casting number is an oddball and does not jive with the stamping or the crank or transmission. Based on stamping, the crank and transmission it has no choice but to be a 61 but the casting numbers show 1964 which there is no way it can be. Last question is there any way to now what kind of car it came out of. Casting number is 2128854. Which the book tells is a 361/or 383. I have asked some of these questions before but am still hoping for more clarity.

Auto Transport Service
Back