• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Control Unit bleeding foam!

macdiesel

Local time
12:21 AM
Reaction score
I guess my ignition control (little orange box) couldn't handle the heat of being 6" away from the headers. The foam that they fill the back with bled out all over my inner fender. Anybody know what I can use to get that insulation crap off without ruining the paint? Should I cover the circuit board in something, high temp RTV perhaps?

Don't know what will remove that stuff (it's an epoxy) but you don't have to spend the extra cash for another orange box and get a STANDARD IGNITION LX-101. It's every bit as good, if not better, won't skip a beat to 7000rpm, and is cheaper.

I got a Crane HI-6TR (crane's version of the msd 6al) on the shelf. I haven't really dug into the distributor yet so I don't know what I got (points, CDI, HEI ect..). Ignitions aren't really my forte, so I'm not sure if what I got can handle the crane box. If it can, I'll throw that one on. The orange box should still work. It was working fine last time I drove the car anyway....

The 6A will work without the orange (or any other) box. All you need are two wires to the electronic distributor, and two wires to the coil

(been there, done that recently)

Sweet! I was thinking I'd have to replace the distributor before I put the crane box on. Any suggestions on where to mount it?

You've been a big help by the way. I really appreciate it.

The 6A in my Duster is mounted on top of the passenger's inner fender at the rear. It's important to keep these away from heat. But they're kinda large and have to be put where they can be put lol.

Always glad to help:grin:

Auto Transport Service
Back