• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition key wont crank engine

troublemaker

Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score
So here's one for u. Brand new ignition switch, brand new wiring harnesses throughout car, new starter and starter relay. Car starts 90% of time. Occasionally when you turn the key in the on position and go to start it there is no contact with starter. With ignition on i can jump the starter at the relay and start the car. All contacts at relay and firewall clean and tight. The ignition switch has no accessory power, when i roll the switch to back toward me its dead all the time. I wonder if the switch is bad or indexed wrong, if thats even possible. This is a 4 speed with a clutch safety switch. Makes no sense. Any help appreciated.

I would check the ignition switch first....When you say "new" is that a reproduction?

Is the CSS new?

Yea its out of Canada, repro. My thoughts to. I think I'll do the relay at
the same time. Cheap money. Hey thanks for the reply, just want to make sure im on the right track

A bad/loose connection could cause a voltage drop. Test the voltage at the ignition switch when this occurs. Otherwise, the clutch safety switch is suspect. If these are adjustable, it maybe on the edge and not make contact all of the time.

Yea the CSS is new to, guess it could be that, buzzers dont even work though and wont start in nuetral, unless I jump it at the relay. Sporadic though most of the time it starts. Heat is not a concern, does it cold or hot

Need to get another set of hands involved. Two hands can't crank and check voltage at one time. Hey guys I appreciate your feedback. THANKS

I'd pop those bulkhead connectors just to inspect. My engine harness is new and the Alternator wire terminals were showing signs of overheating and arcing. This caused some voltage drop on mine and is the source of power for the ignition switch and fuse panel on my 64.

Auto Transport Service
Back