• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition switch wiring 70 GTX

70GETEX

Local time
2:43 AM
Reaction score
My 70 GTX wiring had been hacked up so bad I decided to replace the dash wiring harness. I bought a M&H from Year one and it looks like a brand new factory harness. I have about everything hooked up but the ignition switch wiring was all messed up.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of where the wires should be in the ignition switch plug? A picture of a new ignition switch shows the big red & black wires seperate and not plugged into the plug, why is that?

thanks

I don't have the full version of Adobe, so I can't cut out the two pages needed. Hopefully these screen shots do what you need.

This is from the 1970 service manual

Good Luck.

Hawk Wiring1.jpgWiring2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa, that resolution is terrible! Here are the wire designations top to bottom from the second page:
12BK (Black)
18Y (Yellow)
14BR (Brown)
16DBL (Dark Blue)
12R (Red)
18O (Orange)
18R (Red)
18R (Red)

Thanks Hawk! Do you know why the red and black wires on a new ign switch are not in the plug like the rest of the wires?

Sorry, I can't help you there. I have been fortunate not to have to replace one (yet), although I soon will be replacing the turn signal switch in my 1970 Road Runner.

Perhaps someone else on the forum can help with this...

I just bought this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/321063608315 from rehrenberg off ebay
There is also a spot where you can put the ignition buzzer in the harness. Thats the two red wires on the end for mine anyways. The heavy gauge red wire melted the harness. I'm also replacing my dash harness too.

Heres a picture of my old one. It got a little warm at one point..This is the picture of the buzzer switch2013-02-04_21-26-12_519.jpgHere are the two separated 2013-02-04_21-25-12_551.jpgand here is what the harness looked like together2013-02-04_21-26-04_835.jpg

Also one quick not. my car is a 72. so idk if your 70 would be any different. I think they are all the same 70- 76. Mine didn't have an orange wire. So my guess would be to see what the colors are in the dash harness and make sure they match your ignition harness before you put juice to it.

- - - Updated - - -

ignition diagram.jpg

Your picture shows :

18 Y =yellow (start)
12BK = Black ( accessory)
16 DBL = Dark blue ( ignition )
14 BR = Brown ( ignition )
12 R = Red ( battery )
18 O = orange ( indicator lamp )
18 R = red ( key buzzer )
18 R = red ( key buzzer )

now on my replacement they are all the same except the orange wire is now a 18 gauge black wire. But they are all in the same sequence..

Thanks for the replies guys, I will see if I can make sense of it Saturday!

Scan0001.jpg
Just got my ignition switch in the mail today. Here's the schematic it came with.

That answers the question of why the red and black wires were longer and not in the plug like the rest! I was able to get my new harness installed today and had it running. Thanks guys.

I'D LIKE TO SEE THE NOTE ABOUT THE SMALL WIRE WHERE THE ARROWS POINT ----> SEE NOTE

is pointing out to a black wire the original 71/74 ign switch doesn't have, but replacements does, using the cavity where the orange wire to column shifter bezel goes ( on column shifter cars )

what it says about that wire ?

EDITING!!!!

forget it, the note is on same sheet :icon_silent: LOL... it's a ground wire... FINALLY I KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS THAT WIRE!!! LOL: I allways have seen that wire on newer replacement pieces

now wondering WHY we would need a ground wire there ? ign switch is just a mechanic conmutator... what car would use that ?

Auto Transport Service
Back