• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

in Bodyshop...waiting. Should I cut bait and run?

Story already starting to sound bad.....I'd pull it out of there.Lifes too short to put up with BS.

Update: So its been in the shop two weeks now, and from what I can tell from my clandestine drive bys the car is still sitting in the yard untouched. I called with a friendly "how's it going" call yesterday and he immediately got defensive, and stated that they tried to get the bumpers off and the bolts were seized. He said he would have to cut them off with a torch and would get to that on Monday.

Should that really be necessary? My car is in pretty good shape for its age. This guy has an excellent reputation locally and has done lots of old cars, but everytime I talk to him he keeps saying he's going to break this or bust that. "oh, we might bust your windshield", "oh, we might foul the plugs in your car because we only move it 20 feet at a time". "we might break the bumper filler pieces when we take it off". He even complained that he would have to charge me to remove the glue residue on the roof from where the vinyl top used to be ( I removed the top myself and asked for the roof to be painted).

What do you think? I'm seriously considering yanking my car out of there before he does any damage. I'm not really worried about the time, or the fact that he hasn't touched it in two weeks...but his attitude concerns me. Could just be his personality...should I be inferring something from the kinds of statements he's making? Is he trying to set me up or just being thorough? Is this a body shop behavior that is a red flag or just business as usual?
The plugs.......... yes after many cold starts they prob will be fouled.
What jumped out to me was the hot wrench, if a couple rusted bumper bracket bolts are giving them fits this prob isn't going to end well.
That and the { we may bust your windshield } I don't know man, If these guys cant pull a glass with wire and rusty bolts and glue residue are a problem............. Is there anyone in there with grey hair and looks like crow bait ? if not you may need to rethink things, the week didn't bother me but the more you post its not sounding great.

To even mention a cutting torch on a car of this type is ridiculous. Get a strong arm and break the damn things. Isn't anyone a man anymore? I would be concerned about the attitude and the sound of inexperience. Just me, but my car would be leaving before it had any real hours to pay for.

Most shops have no people skills or mind sets to do a job promply or properly most are just butchers

Personally, this story is scaring me to death. When I took my car in to a busy shop (Mexico), it was out the door in 10 days. That's how efficient, competent people paint cars. Are you willing to wait and pay a shop which parks your car outside, can't remove a bumper (probably just a stall story anyway), and puts you on edge everyday while you wait and worry? That's what I like about having work done in Mexico, labor is cheap but the people work like dogs for their money. They also do a lot of things the hard way, which in the long run is often better. In my case, the roof was rusty under the canopy vinyl and the vehicle had one previous re-paint to blue from the factory Tawny Gold Y9. I think I got my money's worth, about $1,500.00 labor/materials and I did not need meds/drugs/alcohol during the process to calm my nerves:

DSC00032.JPG DSC00332.JPG DSC00369.JPG DSC00370.JPG DSC00371.JPG DSC00373.JPG

^ Damn Dibbons!

I need to run for the border.....I've been seeing 3-5K for an all-over paint job!

You wont see that up here in my canadian neck of the woods. Material alone is high 2000 to 3000.00 as a start. A high grade gallon of clear is 300.00 plus hardner and reducer.. Then labour. How far do you wish to take the resto to? Skies the limit. I know of a few shops that will make you pay monthly to pay wages. And not even touch the car til there ready.

I wouldn't wait too long. I'd certainly give them their space and time to get started. If they delay much past that with a bitchy everything is wrong attitude - I'd probably tell them you don't feel comfortable with their process and move the car out and find another shop. I know it's nerve wracking to let your baby go into the hands of others - but I also wouldn't expect them to do their thing in 2 weeks. Give them a little more rope and if you still feel the way you're describing pull the plug. Keep us posted and good luck!

Pulled the car out of the shop yesterday. Now it sits. Lonely. Stripped. And unpainted.

IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0032.JPG IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0040.JPG IMG_0041.JPG

That ole girl looks like its in decent shape.

For what it's worth - Having read your latest update my take on it NOW is - " If there's any doubt there is no doubt " you gave this bloke the benefit of your good nature... " they might break this and use a torch a for that ? How come the roof glue thing hasn't been included in the total estimate ?? you've been 'reduced' to clandestine drive bys -a sign you have grave concerns -assuming there's clear access to remove the car, arrive unannounced with a trailor ( 'early doors' as a nice pre 1st coffee morning surprise) and get it back home - you ain't happy and neither am I... And I'm 1000s of bloody miles away !

Last edited:
Personally, this story is scaring me to death. When I took my car in to a busy shop (Mexico), it was out the door in 10 days.

That's kind of the route I went. I found a guy on Craigslist. 16 years experience, and works at a shop during the day and for himself at night. He did all the body work in his garage, and uses his grandfather's shop at night to do the painting. Best of all, I had his wife's number, and when I felt the job was taking too long, I sent her a picture of 13 $100 bills and told her they were at risk of losing the balance owed.

Took about five weeks, but the job got done and done well. I got a crunched quarter and very dented rood fixed, several dents and dings beat out, new steel welded in on the undersides, primering with POR-15 and a total color change to black for $2,300.

It's more than obvious that this was going to end up bad in all ways. It was the best thing to do getting it out of there. The car will be fine sitting for awhile while you get a new plan in the works.

Curious what they said when you went to take it home. More excuses or dident they care?

SBSB Standard body shop Bull.
My car was in and out in 8 days, completely painted the whole car and fixed huge fender damage and several dents. $2500 and it was Black and perfectly straight.
On the other hand...........I took my Dakota truck to him and he never touched it for 3 weeks and I got it back unfinished he said to bring it back next week to get it completed,
that was 6 weeks ago and he now does not answer or return my calls. My mistake was I paid the bill in full.

Curious what they said when you went to take it home. More excuses or dident they care?
He didn't care. He said I could get some PB buster and remove the bumpers myself...don't know why his body techs couldn't do the same thing. Tossed me the keys and said "bring it back after labor day". I guess things slow down for them after then.

Auto Transport Service
Back