• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instant Green starts

Roughbird72

Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
Our heads up classes are now running an instant green and last night was my first attempt at it. I say first attempt, because that's about all it was:lol:
Anyone have any tips how to improve reaction times footbraking on an instant green?

yea do need transbrake and smaller front tires.my local tarck dropped index racing,i cant bracket race anymore,im too old to cut a perfect light and run dead on everytime,in this day is what you need so index was great for me,those no prep run those instant green

Thanks for the replies.
The trans brake thing jokingly came up at the track a couple times. The rules are foot brake only. I'm just going to have to figure out where to put the tire the beams.

Is it a .5 pro tree or .4? Smaller front tires, and if it's legal deep stage. Also maybe raise your stage rpm. Also a stiffer sidewall on the rear tires. Not sure what ET your running but try to tune your suspension so it doesn't waste any energy (quickest 60 ft). Also maybe a lower gear so it responds faster.

Never heard of that before.

That's a lousy deal in my opinion. It favors a light car with no suspension travel and a trans brake. A heavy leaf spring, foot brake car is toast. Roll on as deep as possible, highest rpm at launch as it'll hold, goofy small 24" front tires, radials on the rear. The trouble is that it takes a heavvy car about .180-.220 second to clear the beams. Add in another ..270-.320 for the driver. Now if you could roll it beyond the stage beams by multiple bumps, with practice that could work. Learn how many bumps it takes beyond the top stage bulb going out until you go red.
Doug

Last edited:
Its aimed at mimicking a flashlight start. Everybody wants to be a "Street Outlaw". I'm admittedly more of a drag racing purist.

That's a lousy deal in my opinion. It favors a light car with no suspension travel and a trans brake. A heavy leaf spring, foot brake car is toast. Roll on as deep as possible, highest rpm at launch as it'll hold, goofy small 24" front tires, radials on the rear. The trouble is that it takes a heavvy car about .180-.220 second to clear the beams. Add in another ..270-.320 for the driver. Now if you could roll it beyond the stage beams by multiple bumps, with practice that could work. Learn how many bumps it takes beyond the top stage bulb going out until you go red.
Doug
THIS POST HAS IT !

instant green there is no amber,its a pro tree just no amber,small front ires and transbrakes are needed,if you have a practice tree would help,ive never did a instant start,like to try it sometime,allways did pro tree

I paid a little more attention this past race and deep staging helps.
Yep, they're trying to mimic a flashlight/street race type start. The track is shielding the Pro Tree ambers. I would rather race off a .400 or .500 tree, but it is what it is.
The sad part about the last race is I had the car running the number(11.50) and broke the throttle cable in the first round of eliminations.lol

I paid a little more attention this past race and deep staging helps.
Yep, they're trying to mimic a flashlight/street race type start. The track is shielding the Pro Tree ambers. I would rather race off a .400 or .500 tree, but it is what it is.
The sad part about the last race is I had the car running the number(11.50) and broke the throttle cable in the first round of eliminations.lol
When you stage, try counting the seconds it takes for the green light to turn on, then try to Anticipate it on your next Run, or even better study light before you race.

Our heads up classes are now running an instant green and last night was my first attempt at it. I say first attempt, because that's about all it was:lol:
Anyone have any tips how to improve reaction times footbraking on an instant green?
make sure ur brakes and convertor are up to snuff, and stall it as hi as possible, be ready !

Thanks
There'll be no racing this friday. The throttle cable I received that is suppose to be for a 71-74 BB Roadrunner is not even close.

I hate instant green racing!
A couple of our local small towns have done 150ft. Street drags with a green only. Have to be on your toes..

Maybe I should lobby to go to a .400 or .500 Pro tree:lol:
Shorter front tires and a better master cylinder may be in order this winter. I'm just doing this for S&Gs, it usually only costs $15 more to race than what gate price is.

Auto Transport Service
Back