• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instant Green starts

Would be hard to red light on .4 pro tree.

Depends on the setup. NHRA national event .400 pro tree is actually .380 second. How many national event red lights have you seen? The trouble is the average sportsman style door slammer will come no where near cutting a .000 on a .400 tree.
Doug

I did get to the friday night race, which was run on a .500 tree ... didn't do well there either. lol
His .023 to my .288 light, he lifted about 1,000', I drove around and lifted. I was first to finish by .1634 and ran 11.359 on the 11.50 index. The air was much better during eliminations, which threw my throttle stop setting off.
What a messed up run.lol

I did get to the friday night race, which was run on a .500 tree ... didn't do well there either. lol
His .023 to my .288 light, he lifted about 1,000', I drove around and lifted. I was first to finish by .1634 and ran 11.359 on the 11.50 index. The air was much better during eliminations, which threw my throttle stop setting off.
What a messed up run.lol
.288 light ? Bet they were hollaring at u to leave ! LOL

Tell the track if they want to fill the stands and the pits,,Get them a Hottie out there and do FLAG starts. Gives you a bit of a advantage as you can see movement when the flag starts to drop.Now That's if you can keep your EYES OFF the Hottie !!!

Tell the track if they want to fill the stands and the pits,,Get them a Hottie out there and do FLAG starts. Gives you a bit of a advantage as you can see movement when the flag starts to drop.Now That's if you can keep your EYES OFF the Hottie !!!
They did have a Hottie starting races with an arm drop at the first of the year. There was too much bitching and bickering about guys jumping, so they switched to Instant Green.
This past friday night was sponsored by different shops than our usual friday night heads up races and all index classes ran off a .500 Pro Tree.

Big tire- small tire-----tranny brake or none----bumpin a button. When it all gets down to it, on a true one light tree, the human workin the light can turn it on anytime he wants and you better have your revs up and ready to boogie. I used to race on a one light system and no prep. If you were lucky you could follow the funny cars and be in some of their rosin. As for the one light system, I have wanted that racing to come back for about 10 years or so and nobody is in favor. Maybe it might show the drivers weakness?

I raced all last weekend with a 400 Pro tree. With my trans brake. And yes, you have to be ready to pop that button. Once both cars are pre-staged the starter turns the system over to the auto start computer. The computer then takes over when both cars are fully staged and determines by random when the tree starts. The starter guy down on the track has nothing to do with it.

I raced all last weekend with a 400 Pro tree. With my trans brake. And yes, you have to be ready to pop that button. Once both cars are pre-staged the starter turns the system over to the auto start computer. The computer then takes over when both cars are fully staged and determines by random when the tree starts. The starter guy down on the track has nothing to do with it.
How we're your lights?

Mikes right, the computer takes over once the tree is armed.
My lights are terrible. .200s on a .500 tree and .800s on an instant green.
I need to do some upgrades on my brakes, I can't bring it up against the converter without pushing it through the beams.
Like you said Doug, a heavy leaf spring car really eats up some of the reaction time.

Last edited:
A .00 r/t on a .500 tree is doable by about any car. You just need to roll in deeper if it's slow. Depends on the car. My Caravan will go .00 shallow staged. My buddy's stock Hemi Charger needs to fully deep staged to go .00
Doug

It will be interesting to see what happens next year.
Two years ago this was oriented towards street driven cars and by the end of this year about 30% of the cars in the 4 index classes were bracket cars with the minimal changes to be "street legal".

Sandbagging is suppose to be kept to a minimum, but we had a guy at the last race win 12.50 and 13.50 class.

The index classes started so those of us that don't have the budget/cars to run the unlimited street classes can still go have some fun.
As usual, the unlimited classes are the show and the index classes are the filler.

I may have to try deep staging.
I've deep staged with my footbrake car on a .400 with some success. The trick is to practice Pro and Full tree until your reaction time (taking into account tree difference .400-.500) is the same. Then adjust the car. When I use a practice tree the rollout is set the same for both Full/Pro and both set on .500. It'll take you a lot of practice to run both with-in .010 of each other. It will come with practice as will your consistency. You should be able to keep 80% or better of your R/T with-in less than .01 from high to low and from Pro to Full.
Doug

I still like the old street light racing. Red to greens use to be timed. The city ruined the fun with the late night yellow flashing light.

Auto Transport Service
Back