• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Baaackk

moparwacko

YUGE GOLD MEMBER
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:32 PM
Reaction score
Well last summer I installed a very healthy 383 in the RR I had built many moons ago.
That lasted 3 months, not the engine but a buyer that just had to have it. After an insane offer, out it went......... engine less again.......
Plans were to do a mild 451 with a 400 I had laying around, well once back from machining......another crazy $$$ offer for that. Engine less again.
Got a call from a guy I built another 383 approximately 4 yrs ago for a competitive pulling truck, he was in dire straits.....
Long story already, but here is this weekends plan.
20170224_174016.jpg

20170224_173814.jpg

it left here with a Hughes cam, but now has an unknown Purple shaft. Heard it run last fall and know it's healthy. My book says it's .30, 11.3 with my ported 906 still on (always mark my work) but cam?? Should be running this weekend ........

Resting comfortably, but don't think I'm crazy over the as cast covers
DSC00135.jpg

time for some sleep....

Talk about getting it done. That was quick.

Well, misleading a little. Picked up the engine Tues. On stand, 7 qt pan & pickup installed, bearings checked on Wednesday. Re- gasketed, painted-made pretty, manifolds installed Thursday.
Last night was the install with the 3 of us, ME, myself, and I. We work well together kinda- except I really don't like one of them (he's sarcastic), and can't trust the other. And the last one drank too much coffee and can't fall asleep now. Back to the garage.

Last edited:
Personally I kind of like the polished/cast valve covers...looks good sitting in the bay!

Well they were kinda growing on me, but when priming oil poured out. Forgot some of these older cast covers interfere w/ stock manifolds. Chrome ones goin back on for now, header upgrade coming soon. All for naught, as I'm pretty close to firing but then big storm rolled through. Off to work I go, guess people like to have their power back on. Don't they understand this is important? Rest of weekend is shot now.:(

Can't the people buy generators? Selfish bastards

Well they were kinda growing on me, but when priming oil poured out. Forgot some of these older cast covers interfere w/ stock manifolds.
Yeah, I have the black Mopar Performance covers and after I replaced the cam, the right bank simply would not seal. I had to use RTV to seal it.

Not much of an update......but after working all weekend I came home this morning to find the hood installed, and most of the remaining hookups done.
Daughter and son-in-law had stopped by
Good kids

Here it is, needs some tuning yet. And one of the all pretty exhaust manifolds got cracked.
Old crusty one back on for now.

Shakedown run ok, ×#*@#*% Ps leak developing. Always something new to work on.
Anyone have an idea what Purple shaft?
From the sound/video clip?
16 degree initial advance, idles somewhat happy around 850- 900 rpm, 11 lbs idle vacuum rdg......

Saw good oil press.!!! First step up purpleshaft?

Can't the people buy generators? Selfish bastards
I have livestock facilities with 3 different power cooperatives. The linesman do a stellar job, I still however need to have generators on standby always prepared for the worst. It's happened

I have livestock facilities with 3 different power cooperatives. The linesman do a stellar job, I still however need to have generators on standby always prepared for the worst. It's happened
Thanks, Lineman really do appreciate a good word every now and again.
First afternoon/evening off in a week......
I'm thinking I've got one of the 284/484 Purple shafts in this one. Longer tune session today - 18 degree advanced, idle set at 900ish, 10-11 lbs vac @ idle. Sort of fits with a 108 centerline. What you guys think?
Either way, it's gonna be a stout street engine this summer, I'm happy so far.
Now why did the PO have adjustable rockers put on????? Hmmmm more questions. It had a complete Hughes setup ..............hope he didn't trash it :(

Thanks, Lineman really do appreciate a good word every now and again.
First afternoon/evening off in a week......
I'm thinking I've got one of the 284/484 Purple shafts in this one. Longer tune session today - 18 degree advanced, idle set at 900ish, 10-11 lbs vac @ idle. Sort of fits with a 108 centerline. What you guys think?
Either way, it's gonna be a stout street engine this summer, I'm happy so far.
Now why did the PO have adjustable rockers put on????? Hmmmm more questions. It had a complete Hughes setup ..............hope he didn't trash it :(
Linesmen earn their money. I live in Northern Iowa, gales force winds, ice storms, blizzards, hail storms. Our linesmen are quick to action

Auto Transport Service
Back