• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just another 505 build

The 727 front leaks are likely a wrecked front pump bushing, if that hasn't been replaced. Any "out of round or mis-alignment" condition will wreck that pretty quick. When time allows you want to check that out & make sure the front pump mounting bore is centered with the crank centerline. Offset dowls ar e available.
As mentioned in a previous post, it was mis alignment of the converter that did this. I had to replace the bushing in the front pump. Either way though I've sold all my torqueflite stuff and looking to pull the trigger on getting a powerglide. Really looking forward to the upcoming season... Made a few other changes as well haha
coronethalos.jpg

If you're going to Rt 66 drag way, you must be in IL/IN, and if that's the case, you need to call John Cope at Cope Racing Transmissions over in Lowell, IN; just across the border from IL. He will definitely sort out your trans issues. I'm running his trans in my street car, similar ci to yours, and his trans is awesome!

Well guys, more bad luck today... Was draining the fluid out of the pan today to open everything up and see whats up. Fluid reaks of burnt clutch. Definitely going to need to take it back out again. Thats the end of my season.

I tell you guys what, the more issues I have with this trans, the more I start thinking about going with a powerglide and never look back...

Not sure how much durability glides have gained over the years, but you need to go with the stoutest stuff available (cost).

If you are needing to lighten up your 66-67 Dodge Coronet, we make bumpers, lift off hood, lift off trunk , fenders and the s/s hood scoop and an A/FX scoop which is out selling all the rest of my lines of scoops put together. We are Sled City Fiberglass. www.sledcityfiberglass.com

Power Glide will slow it down. Sounds like you lost the 3rd/Rev clutch. A nearly stock 727 will live in a low,10 second car forever. Take it apart, they're pretty simple.
Doug

Power Glide will slow it down. Sounds like you lost the 3rd/Rev clutch. A nearly stock 727 will live in a low,10 second car forever. Take it apart, they're pretty simple.
Doug
sounds to me like your a little heavy for a glide !

I have spoke with my trans guy about these concerns, but the pros outweigh the cons. That 727 I had was aftermarket and it lasted 10 runs, there was burnt up crap in the pan when I pulled it... All n all I am expecting to lose some ET, but I'm a bracket racer. Really doesn't bother me all that much when the hunt for consistency is key.

When I was bracket racing I built all my own 727's. 200 - 300 runs was the norm before replacing the front band & clutches. Sometimes all I did was sand the band & the steels. 10 runs is unacceptable. Your glide durability is sure to be less than any 727. I'd consider a new 727 supplier.

I have spoke with my trans guy about these concerns, but the pros outweigh the cons. That 727 I had was aftermarket and it lasted 10 runs, there was burnt up crap in the pan when I pulled it... All n all I am expecting to lose some ET, but I'm a bracket racer. Really doesn't bother me all that much when the hunt for consistency is key.

If your Trans guy can't get you more than 10 passes on an 11 sec car he prob shouldn't be a trans guy... a 727 is very consistent, many guys go rounds with them. A glide in a 11 sec b body prob won't be that much fun.. their better suited for high hp lighter race type cars.

Last edited:
If your Trans guy can't get you more than 10 passes on an 11 sec car he prob shouldn't be a trans guy... a 727 is very consistent, many guys go rounds with them. A glide in a 11 sec b body prob won't be that much fun.. their better suited for high hp lighter race type cars.
Boy you got that right. I just inspected my 65 push button 727 at 200 passes. I reused all clutches and bands. Car runs 9.0@3350lbs. My old low 10 second car made 700 passes on a completely stock 727 with the exception of a deep pan and turbo action valve body. You could still rear "Raybetos" on the frictions at inspection. Talk to somebody that has run a glide at your HP/weight level. It WILL slow it down. Not to mention you will need a new converter, bell housing, shifter, drive shaft, yoke, flex plate, and starter. Along with a new trans. And that will be a glide with aftermarket parts. I have 2 friends run glide in cars with similar performance to mine. Both are lighter than mine. Both have aftermarket internals, inputs, planets, ETC.. Both have broke planetary/hub assemblys. Do some more research.
Doug

As pointed out by the others, you need to change lots of stuff to go to a glide, expensive. You NEED to get the best aftermarket internals available to get ANY durability out of a glide.
Any of the major TF suppliers can get you what you need depending on cost. Cope, Dynamic, Turbo Action, Coan?, A&A?. The parts availability for 727's is great these days. Again I got 200 - 300+ runs out of 727's that I built that were stock except for the Turbo Action valve body & modified front clutch spacer to add the 5th clutch.

I would avoid C**n transmissions. Their damn street performance 727 didn't last a summer in my car. Cope had to rebuild it entirely. Everything was burned inside. Now the Cope trans is bad ***!!! Get parts from Cope as he makes certain parts himself.

As pointed out by the others, you need to change lots of stuff to go to a glide, expensive. You NEED to get the best aftermarket internals available to get ANY durability out of a glide.
Any of the major TF suppliers can get you what you need depending on cost. Cope, Dynamic, Turbo Action, Coan?, A&A?. The parts availability for 727's is great these days. Again I got 200 - 300+ runs out of 727's that I built that were stock except for the Turbo Action valve body & modified front clutch spacer to add the 5th clutch.

I have had a Cope "Street" trans behind my 500" motor, not the most HP, but well over 500. Cope's trans worked great. My new motor is about 700 HP so I called John & ordered a upgraded "race" style trans. His parts availability is impressive.

Sorry guys, I appreciate all your input. When I ordered this thing I must of talked to FTI Performance for about an hour just going back n forth about all the concerns I had. All n all they assured me that for bracket racing, its the place to be.
15645404_10206394720707211_154668790_n.jpg

Sorry guys, I appreciate all your input. When I ordered this thing I must of talked to FTI Performance for about an hour just going back n forth about all the concerns I had. All n all they assured me that for bracket racing, its the place to be.View attachment 380285

Of course they did, they have a few bills out of your wallet..

Sorry guys, I appreciate all your input. When I ordered this thing I must of talked to FTI Performance for about an hour just going back n forth about all the concerns I had. All n all they assured me that for bracket racing, its the place to be.View attachment 380285
When will you get a chance to test? I'd like to see the time slip comparison.
Doug

Got the engine and trans in yesterday. Had to do some fab to get the mount to work, plus had to make some fore/aft mounts. Went better then expected.

15727109_10206435320442179_4625117650355721017_n.jpg
15697647_10206435320522181_4601294305080000140_n.jpg
15672755_10206435320722186_645951508850672568_n.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back