• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED Garage / Shop Lights?

yep there kick ***, $35 at sam's club. bought 6 of them know I can see again they were $45 but lowered them after I bought 3 so I though I'd light up the rest of the shop, and got 3 more.

I just picked up one at Sam's Club and installed it a week or so ago. I have a bunch of 8' fluorescents and needed a little extra light in one area.

Overall the 'temperature' of the light is very white and it does not seem to be as bright as the others. I like the fluorescents for detailing cars and I can tell you the LED isn't going to work for detailing paint.

I have 16, 8ft fixtures. I don't think it'd be cost efficient for me to replace them all. I have 8 more, 4ft units in my other garage.
I also agree with the detailing consideration. Want your car to look like ****? Fluorescents will do it.

Looks like I'd be spending about $1600 on changing.....uh, no.

Last edited:
I have 10 4' led lights in my 1500 sqft. shop like the ones shown. They work great. Very bright. Mine came from Sam's club. LED's are bright, use less energy, last longer, start cold, and are quiet. For general lighting needs you can not go wrong with LED's.

I'm on board with LED's for sure. I wrangled back and forth what to do to improve my super shi%%y original x3 incandescent bulbs/sockets in my WAY overly tall garage. Was pondering the whole converted fluorescent LED bulb thing (which was attractive) and other similar lights. Anyhow I was more into spending money on mopar parts and fun stuff like that so I moved away from 4 or 8 foot LED options. Agreed they are not TOO expensive, but I was being cheap at the time so I started installing normal bulb sockets with 100W equivalent LED screw in bulbs for about $10-$15 a piece including wire. Working towards 21 to fill the entire garage so 250 or 300 when done. Here is the result....minus 3 more not done above the camera you don't see.
garage.jpg

When I re-fit my garage, I'll be going LED for sure. Fluorescent is just too hard on old eyes....and less efficient. Already started on LED in the rest of the house. :thumbsup:

I'm on board with LED's for sure. I wrangled back and forth what to do to improve my super shi%%y original x3 incandescent bulbs/sockets in my WAY overly tall garage. Was pondering the whole converted fluorescent LED bulb thing (which was attractive) and other similar lights. Anyhow I was more into spending money on mopar parts and fun stuff like that so I moved away from 4 or 8 foot LED options. Agreed they are not TOO expensive, but I was being cheap at the time so I started installing normal bulb sockets with 100W equivalent LED screw in bulbs for about $10-$15 a piece including wire. Working towards 21 to fill the entire garage so 250 or 300 when done. Here is the result....minus 3 more not done above the camera you don't see.

That shop is itching for a lift

I bought 2 "Big ***" LED lights (Google it). Very pricey but it did the whole shop. Well worth it.

They make 4' LED bulbs that retrofit directly into a 4' fluorescent fixture without changing anything else. They run about $10 each at Costco.

They make 4' LED bulbs that retrofit directly into a 4' fluorescent fixture without changing anything else. They run about $10 each at Costco.
Do they make less that first into 6 or 8' fluorescent?

Do they make less that first into 6 or 8' fluorescent?

I think you asked if they make them for 6' or 8' too. I haven't seen them. Only 4'.

Damn spellcheck. Lol. You are correct. The shop on my farm was built in 1983 the ceiling is 16'. The lighting are 6' fluorescent and not up to task. I've been considering the LED route for a year or two. I was glad to see this thread posted

With LEDs it's all about the lumens.

Cheap ones won't be very bright.

I've been looking for cost effective 24" fixtures and the luminsity varies quite a bit.
600- 1500 for the same length, and you sure can tell the difference.

Color temperature took big strides in the past few years with florescents, and LEDs are coming into the game at a much better starting point.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png

http://www.banggood.com/4X-50cm-11W...igid-Strip-Cabinet-Light-DC-12V-p-940812.html
image.png

http://www.banggood.com/50cm-12V-36...White-Waterproof-LED-Strip-Light-p-86860.html

I installed these in my workshop and my pool house. Very cheap and a whole lot of light! You need to add your own 12v source (Bangood.com also sells them too for a very good price). They have a version of these with clear or white lenses too if you need protection or want it to look like fluorescent bulbs. Or buy the roll of strip LEDs (and the silicone tubes to insert them in if you want to install them outdoors). Get a weatherproof transformer if you want that outdoors too. I just mounted one 1 meter light strip on every third ceiling joist and a strip under each counter cabinet. Tons of light!

Last edited:
How high are your joists?

20160926_205204.jpg

Just installed this LED yard light today. I would have to say I'm impressed with it and will be changing the lights in my shop over to LED this winter.

I was disappointed with some LED flood lights when they first came, they didn't last long but I know they've improved then greatly. I'll be buying a couple of the ones at SAMs soon too.

Auto Transport Service
Back