• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lincoln Tig 200

Moving a little slow this morning after being at the hospital until 2am tshooting a FA circuit.... Trying to get motivated to get up and go play!

Last edited:
The best (most valuable) experience I had with welding is learning how to weld steel with oxy-ace in shop class--high school.
The learning is about handling a melted puddle and adding to that puddle material that is usually needed.

Tig welding is much like oxy-ace welding in that the tig torch is just the heat needed to melt the material.

In my working career, I have certified on many types of welding and worked in a fab shop for seven years as a tig welder. Also heavy mig and stick welding in the field with my other working life. (Also certified as the need arose).

With a taste of my welding history, I have a brief story of fixing my C500 at home.

I found crunch damage on drivers side rear quarter by the tail. It was filled with bondo and when exposed it was clear that I needed a donor section.
In my back yard I had that donor 69 charger needed.

My cuts were to preserve the vin stamping on the trunk lid and went to the bottom below the reflector and about 8 inches forward.

Since this thread is about welding (and I have an extensive background in welding) as well as a very fine tig machine ---I chose to use oxy-ace welding to make the graft of a donor part to my car because I wanted a -butt -weld on a large curved panel. ---It was tedious but gave me the control of welding (and panel movement) that would have been more (imo) cumbersome with "tig".

The world of welding is huge and for those of us that just need to fix things at home, I see no need to explore that world when looking to do what we need to fix our cars. Keep a practical focus on what your need is.

Last edited:
Really . . . good thing a friend of mine taught me how to tig many years ago ( using aluminum ) . . . but I'm not finding steel easier ? ? ? - at least not yet . . .

Glad you posted this.
Welding steel and aluminum are two different animals. Not the same in many ways.

My son (for example) asked me to teach him about welding aluminum. He had the same mindset that welding alum. was a good leg up with welding. ----It is only good for welding alum.:)

Let's talk about welding titanium (for example). In my experience, it is the easiest and cleanest welding I have ever done. The welds flow nice and look shiny like a minted coin.
However---to make that happen is prep to keep O2 away from the weld as it cools. The welds we make and their quality depend on many things.

My favorite welding was always stainless, then aluminum.

I'm thinking for doing sheet metal work at home, the mig would be the best. Smaller diameter wire and mixed gas. Tacking at intervals and going back and tacking in between, then maybe one or two more times. Takes a little practice but the heat is a little more controllable. Grinding your welds can cause warping and has to be controlled also.

I remember guys back in the day welding quarters on with oxy acetylene and coat hangers. The coat hanger had a good steel to them and was also a good filler.

My favorite welding was always stainless, then aluminum.

I'm thinking for doing sheet metal work at home, the mig would be the best. Smaller diameter wire and mixed gas. Tacking at intervals and going back and tacking in between, then maybe one or two more times. Takes a little practice but the heat is a little more controllable. Grinding your welds can cause warping and has to be controlled also.

I remember guys back in the day welding quarters on with oxy acetylene and coat hangers. The coat hanger had a good steel to them and was also a good filler.

You and I are talking the same language.

I have used mig. for panel repair and know about the issues holding the body curves, and how the heat from mig welding affects play out.
In my example, I expressed what worked for me at the time.
I chose the hammer and dolly over the grinder and sander.:)

I chose the hammer and dolly over the grinder and sander.:)

You're talking about two talents that aren't learned overnight. Torch welding and working sheet metal.

That's why Mig would be better for the novice. But if you're wanting to learn, I've always said to start with the basics and work your way up. The best welders will be the ones that started with torch and stick. You'll have a better understanding on what's taking place. I've had guys that I've worked with that could run beautiful beads but they weren't worth a damn without good penetration. They never learned the basics.

It's funny you mentioned welding in high school, I did my first weld with a torch in 7th grade shop class & got pretty good with it. Our test was graded when the shop teacher put on piece in a vise and hit the other with a hammer. If it didn't break you passed!
I started my construction career in HVAC, joined the Pipe Fitters local and after some personal issues with the CEOs son, life became hell at the apprenticeship school so I said F it,I didn't need them and became an electrician...
I'm pretty well versed in oxy/acet, stick and jig, tig is just another tool that I will need to become proficient with.
I had hoped to play with it today just didn't get a chance after the late start this morning.

Auto Transport Service
Back