• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Linux Turns 25

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
2:10 AM
Reaction score
https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/22/happy-25th-birthday-linux/

tux_linux_distros3.jpg

We had x based serial network POS terminals for about a decade.

Glad I don't have to work on that mess any more.

No college, but started working on DOS 5 (maybe 4.2...3.3...?), Win 3.0 and Netware 2.2 about 1992.

Very brief stint with OS/2, AI/X and AS400, then moved to FD circuits and 48/56K DSU/CSU.

..and 3174/3274 control units.....ugh....and token ring...ugh.

Then a brief stint with routing and on to switched LAN design and internal tech docs.

Last edited:
.....but thank you, Linus, anyway :)

I remember when what ever country he lives in gave him a free 56K circuit for life!

I'm installing Lubuntu on my 2001 Toshiba laptop today since Windows XP isn't supported anymore. I use it in my garage on AC power since the battery died years ago.

1980, Intro to computers for engineers, Fortran 77 and punch cards !!!!! I'm a computer dinosaur !!!!!

My business server runs Linux for the past 15+ years. Never crashed once !!! ( UH oh, did I just jinx myself????) My POS terminals run Windows tho, not as lucky.

(Giving age away here) I've been working with computers long enough that you had to run 'Sideways' on Lotus 123 to get it to print in landscape mode. The biggest disc partition DOS would make was 32 megabyte... The computer used an SSDD floppy disc with no hard drive, so I configured DOS to create a virtual RAM disk to mimic the single floppy drive to enable copying a file.

Moved up to a PC on Windows 3.1 network hooked to an IBM network with reel and cartridge drives.

Next stop was running an IBM sysplex with 2 z990into T-Rex and 2 z900 mainframes tied into DASD arrays with over 15k Petabytes and a tape cartridge library with over 450k 3490 tape cartridges. Tie that into a StorageTek LSM system with 19 silos (robots) and a lan network with over 40k terminals. Linux? Try Rs-6000s running it - about 10 of those. WORM platters, DLT libraries, etc. 3 of us watched 34 monitors at one time on 12 hour shifts....

Now I are a COBOL programmer in charge of over 300 data tables and various programs and procs for child support and a system support backup person. Working with TSO, ISPF, JCL, DB2, SQL, MVS, Telon, IMS, etc.....

Planning on retiring at the end of 2018 before the system we run is replaced on servers and moved off the mainframes.

I liked Red Hat and SuSe Linux, running both of those on my own servers. Even ran Openserver 5.0.5 Enterprise Edition UNIX on one of my machines. Awesome OS!

Now I'm playing on an iPad entering this... LOL

Well, i tried Lubuntu but it didn't have a driver for my wireless adapter and it didn't come preconfigured for file sharing. So, I installed Linux Mint XFCE and everything works right out of the gate. It's pretty fast for a 10+ year old laptop.

Penguins and Linus Benedict Torvalds is a Finnish-American software engineer who is the creator and, for a long time, principal developer, of the Linux kernel, which became the kernel for operating systems such as GNU and years later Android and Chrome OS.

revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg

nerd!.jpeg

NERDS!!!! lol

Im a computer nerd myself, but you guys are on a different stratosphere with this stuff!

HBD Linux!!

Been in I.T. since 1976. Started on an IBM 360 mainframe running O/S MFT with 32k of memory. The memory module was the size of an A-body mopar.

I used to have a bit of a computer museum of sorts.

Most stuff has had to go for space reasons (usually a year before there's a massive resurgence in interest and prices skyrocket) .

I do still have one of every intel processor (and a few notable competitors) from 8088 to P-III including the hard to find 186. I have a 16MB stick of IBM server specific (9095? - remember "reference diskettes"?) 30 pin RAM with it's receipt...for $600!

I recently saw a Texas Instruments cradle modem at a thrift store for $10.
I should probably buy that and put it on ebay.

My daughter and her Professor husband have it ..they said they have never had a virus problem in many years of using it ... don't know why I don't use it

Auto Transport Service
Back