• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lizard Skin?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:37 PM
Reaction score
Among the long list of "to do's" on my '63 Fury convert, is to put a coating in the interior body, and trunk floor pans, and up under the dash area. A friend did a major resto on his '56 F-100 using Lizard Skin. My Fury is pretty rust free being a CA car but the bare naked interior is skanky needing a good cleaning and proper prep for applying a suitable coating. Also I have issues with water intrusion when driving in rain, the carpet get's soaked and assume there's some areas where caulking has deteriorated or broken away, so thinking this stuff may accomplish some water proofing. Looking for any advice from those who may have done something like this using this stuff or suggestions on other products that have been used.
Thanks, Ron H.

I don't know about Lizard Skin, but anything you can use to seal the floor is a good thing. I use truck bed liner. Also, these cars are known for rusting at the driver's side cowl. Look at where the wiper pivot mounts on the lower cowl. Visible looking up under the dash.

Thanks much for the info. I may have to explore a less desirable but hopefully reasonably effective option to spruce up mine as the car isn't stripped down to the core as these cars were for this treatment. My thought had been to remove the interior all upholstery, panels, carpet, etc. and apply a coating...maybe a white primer coat of some sort as the car is white/ragtop. Car is pretty much rust-free from CA having had the interior out before there's no rust, pinholes, etc. just skanky looking from worn off paint, deterioration in some spots from an old fluid leak from drop top (brake fluid and paint don't mix) that bugs me. I put new carpeting in years ago and needs new carpet again; but had not put in sub-padding that looks like a good idea to do. If I went all out, a frame off would be nice; but I'm spending around 10 grand on motor/trans and getting estimate on repaint. Needs a new top...so the money wagon is only so full..

Auto Transport Service
Back