• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at a 69 Coronet 500, new to Mopar

ETD66SS

Local time
10:02 AM
Reaction score
Have a real #'s 72 GTO that I am considering trading for a 69 Coronet. I'd love to get my hands on a 69 Superbee, but they are rare around here plus the pricing is out of my league.

I know nothing about Mopars apart from the stuff I have learned on Graveyard Cars lol.

Supposedly this car I will be looking at this week is a 1969 Cornoet 500, owner says it has 30,000 orig miles (I dunno about that...) It's a 318 auto but with buckets and a center console. I'm assuming it has the sweep speedo dash.

Not a huge fan of the 318, but going to look at the car anyways. My 72 GTO is all numbers matching all orig sheet metal, never had any rust/rot etc. I'm a bit concerned Googling online about pricing. Seems a 318 Coronet is valued at about 1/2 the value of my GTO.

If you guys came across a 1969 Sublime Green Coronet with black bucket center console interior with 318 with all it's orig sheet metal, what kind of value would you be looking at? I guess first off, is that even a possible factory combination?

I'll try to get pictures of the fender tag. If there are other areas I should be looking for numbers, please let me know. The VIN tag is lower right windshield? I know there is a partial VIN on the rad core support somewhere, but not exactly sure where.

A 318 Coronet is a plain-Jane car, the 500 is just a trim level. No way I would sell/trade a genuine solid G TO for that car. That's my opinion. Some may even say you're out of your mind.

Welcome to the forum.
Only difference between 500 and a Bee is the motor and the trim package.
The Coronet 500 is every bit as nice looking . Plus maybe better optioned comfort wise. Does the one your looking at have a/c?
Personally I'd rather have any 68-70 B-body 2 door

If you want a 69 Super Bee I say sell the GTO for cash and use it for a good down payment. They're around, we've seen a few come up for sale on this forum in the last month or so.
What's your budget?

Agree with above. Beautiful car. I'd love a 69-500, but it would have to be a big block with air.

There's a green Bee posted on here right now for $53k. Says/looks to be fully restored. Probably not what you were thinking $$ wise. Sweet looking car though.

sublime wasn't a '69 color, so suspect bodywork. these old mopars rust in the rear....1/4s,trunk floors, check all four frame rails,around the back windows.

sublime wasn't a '69 color, so suspect bodywork. these old mopars rust in the rear....1/4s,trunk floors, check all four frame rails,around the back windows.
And torsion bar crossmember and under the carpet..

Thanks guys. I do think it would be crazy for me to straight up trade a #'s GTO for a 318 Coronet. I also think it would be crazy for someone with a legit Super Bee to straight up trade for my GTO...

Also, If I wanted to make this a big block car, it's not just an engine swap right? I'm changing out the k-member?

As far as what my budget is, the GTO is my budget, can't be doing anything other than driving that or straight up trading it for something different.

Last edited:
With Sublime not being a '69 model year color and me being a bit of a purest it wouldn't look right on a '69 Coronet 500 (to me that is). But if you like it, and the body and paint was done properly (engine bay, inside trunk, and door jambs, etc.) I would think that would be what really matters.
You said you're not a fan of the 318, but the 318 was a very good engine. Not a power house mill but enjoyable to cruise in. Besides you could drop in a warmed over 360 or a stroker and you might be surprised how well you'd get down the road. Just depends on what you want from a car.
I am curious as to why you talk rather well of your GTO but are considering trading it for something else. Not happy with it?
Just a curious.
If after looking the Coronet over closely you find that you really want it, why not sell the Pontiac, buy the Dodge then make some upgrades to engine, front and rear suspension, brakes, exhaust, etc.

Well, I actually joined these forums a few years ago when I was looking to buy something. I wanted a Mopar. I could not find the kind of deal/car I was looking for but came across the GTO. It was a good deal so I went for it. Here's the car:

It's a cool ride, but I want either a 68 Charger R/T or a 69 Super Bee. However, I am not opposed to getting a base model car and making it what I want. Key thing is I need whatever I get to be a driver right away, something I can mod while I drive. I don't want another project, if you look at my sig, I already have a 66 SS396 Chevelle long term project.

Have a real #'s 72 GTO that I am considering trading for a 69 Coronet. I'd love to get my hands on a 69 Superbee
You gonna what? So crossing over and you pick the 1st and 2nd most popular Bbodies, and you're a numbers guy. Cool!

The 500 could also be a 2bbl 318. Swap you're talking K member, tranny, radiator, maybe rear . . . Ignoring the go-fast for a moment, a 500 having sweep gauges and a flat hood is a deal killer for me. If you love the Bee, it probably is for you too.

If for some reason you're thinking to build a Super Bee clone, why go to that much trouble for a 383? If you do start with a base model, get a cheap solid body, stick a 440 or crate in, pop an A12 scoop on there, and have fun, don't worry about correctness.

69's are pretty numerous. Don't know your GTO $$, but there's gotta be a bunch for $25-30K. See this Coronet for knowledge, sell the GTO for cash and wait for a Bee.
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/vintage-car-1969-dodge/6238279161.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Dodge-...ash=item3aed0c9026:g:RtMAAOSw3ChZegz5&vxp=mtr
https://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/d/1969-dodge-super-bee-4-spd/6227890086.html
here's a sublime for fun http://classicalgasmotors.com/cars/1689/1689.htm

The 500 could also be a 2bbl 318. Swap you're talking K member, tranny, radiator, maybe rear . . . Ignoring the go-fast for a moment, a 500 having sweep gauges and a flat hood is a deal killer for me. If you love the Bee, it probably is for you too.

So, I see in some of the CL ads you linked, some of the Super Bee's had sweep gauges. Not sure what the round gauge package was called, but was that an option?

My GTO is a 400 eng (250 HP) with turbo 400 trans, so not the 455 HO with 4 speed, so it takes a hit in value. From what I can tell my GTO in the range of ~$26-$34k. My car is currently painted the wrong color and a 70/71 rear spoiler added, as well as #62 high comp heads (though I have the orig heads). So for the purists, takes a bit of a hit there, as it would take some cash to get it to be "correct".

As far as the Coronet/Super Bee hood options, I'm a bit confused. There is a Ram Air hood with the wide spaced scoops and then there is a six pack hood, then there is a center bulge hood? Is the Coronet flat hood the same under structure as the ram air hood, just cut holes and add scoops?

And yes, I guess a flat hood/sweep gauge/automatic trans car is not my ideal. My ideal car is a 69-1/2 A12, but I'm not rich...

v8 k frames are the same, small or big block. Hemi and slant are different. I would probably swap a 383 in as I have a few laying around but I would have no problem enjoying the 318.

if you have to have a super bee, then keep looking until you find what you want. It took me 3 straight years to find my 70. When I found it i just knew and did not hesitate to buy it. sometimes patience is rewarded. I would consider selling the Pontiac so that you are ready to buy with cash in hand.

v8 k frames are the same, small or big block. Hemi and slant are different.

Ah, interesting, thx for that tidbit.

I imagine different torsion bars though for increased weight?

I agree with several comments on here that your best bet is to sell the GTO and then buy a Bee. If you do have to trade based on what you value your GTO at, I would not trade for a 318 500. You will have to find the right person to trade so it will take time, but don't sell yourself short. If you sell and buy then you will have a better chance to get something nicer. Unfortunate any trade will most likely not be in your favor.

Unfortunate any trade will most likely not be in your favor.

Seems to be the case. I don't think a straight up trade will work for me in this instance, the guy is valuing his 318 500 at $26k. I'd need his car plus cash to make the deal work, and usually ppl looking to trade don't want to put up any cash.

I guess one other question is, could you order a 500 with bucket seats and a center console? Wondering if he has already started the Super Bee cloning. He says he has side scoops already painted to match the body, just not installed yet.

Last edited:
A nutshell of the big items for each model:
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1969DealershipDataBook-04.shtml

500: standard - 318-2bbl, buckets
opt - 383-2bbl/4bbl (not Magnum), console
Bee: standard - 383-4bbl, rallye cluster, bulge hood, bench
opt - ramcharger hood, side scoops, buckets, console
R/T: standard - 440-4bbl, bulge hood, buckets
opt - rallye cluster, ramcharger hood, side scoops, console
A12: 440-6pack/hood

So you can clone a Bee, but starting at $26K by the time you're done you might as well have bought a Bee. Here's an example of a clean clone car, with a /6 for $19,900. He missed the sweet spot of $10K-under for a clone project and can't get $30K for a /6.
http://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/91007

I'm sure patience will bring a good 69 around $30K. A 68 Charger for that though you'd have some work to do.

I almost bought a running driving beautiful unrestored 69 'net for 14.5k a few years ago. 30k is way too much, 10k would be difficult for 68-69. 1969 coronet (not necessarily bee) is my favorite non-plymouth mopar and I was tempted, but I kept after a 70 RR/GTX. You will need to expand your search nationwide. You can likely find a car and ship it for much less than you think if you look further away from home.

Oh wow, so bucket seas was standard on the 500, weird.

I'm a Chevelle guy so used to the bench seat as always being standard.

Benches with 4spds are kick ash!
I see you like high impact colors - Sublime, and your Chevy-velle looks like a Top Banana. And the GTO looks maybe candy tangerine?
Nice project BTW.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back