• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at a 69 Coronet 500, new to Mopar

That is a beautiful Goat.

Benches with 4spds are kick ash!
I see you like high impact colors - Sublime, and your Chevy-velle looks like a Top Banana. And the GTO looks maybe candy tangerine?
Nice project BTW.

I like high impact colors and black, lol.

The GTO color is even above and beyond what I would have chosen, the prev owner did that.

The Chevelle color is actually called Saturn Yellow, it's a 1 year GM color for the 1970 Buick GSX.

I'm going to look at this Coronet today as it's like 10 mins down the road from where I work, I'll take pictures.

Last edited:
Your Poncho looks to be a pretty nice car.
Too bad you don't have another driver/car you can use while you work through this transition from the Pontiac to a Mopar you want. That would take some pressure off of you.
I look forward to seeing photos of this Coronet you're going to look at. I'm a bit skeptical about the car. Only 30k miles, but it's been painted Sublime, and he wants to hang some side scoops on it.
But with this in mind, I have a friend that has a '69 Coronet he completely restified in Sublime, Black interior, and dropped in a 426 Hemi engine. This car is well done, has the right touches, and is a hit at all the car shows he takes it to.
Good luck with what you choose to do.

I look forward to seeing photos of this Coronet you're going to look at. I'm a bit skeptical about the car. Only 30k miles, but it's been painted Sublime, and he wants to hang some side scoops on it.

Yeah, not exactly sure what to expect.

I dunno guys, I was pretty impressed with the car...

I failed to get a picture with the hood down, but it has the bulge hood, I think it's called a bumble bee hood? It looks like an original hood and not repo.

The underside really does look like a 30k car, the interior is damn nice. He said the car was originally a bronze color.

The bodywork is not laser straight, but neither is my GTO. The only panel fit issue I saw was the bottom corner of the passenger door stuck out past the quarter by quite a bit when the door was closed, the top of the door was flush.

There does seem to be filler around the wheel well openings like they wanted to fill in spot welds as they were not going to put trim on the openings.

I was only able to crawl under his car in his garage and forgot to bring a flashlight, but it looks legit solid like it never had any rot. I'm not sure I am buying the 30k original miles, he said this was on a rotisserie during paint, so there could have been panel replacement, I didn't see any obvious markers of that but used to looking at GM cars not Mopar.

I guess I'm looking to you guys to talk me down from the ledge if need be, because if he likes my car when he sees it tomorrow, I might just pull the trigger. I am going to need to look at the underside again with a flashlight before any final decision.

Not sure I ever have to worry about selling this car, as a sublime green "Super Bee" even if it is a clone has been a childhood dream, and I'm 4 years old.

Have at it and bring me back to reality if you think I need it :)

Last edited:
Not sure I ever have to worry about selling this car, as a sublime green "Super Bee" even if it is a clone has been a childhood dream, and I'm 4 years old.
Have at it and bring me back to reality if you think I need it
It doesn't look spray bombed. Nearly guarantee the trunk pan had to be replaced and quarter work, since it is a Mopar. Rotisserie sounds like floor pans too. But you probably know what you're lookin for.

Sounds like a man in lust, any car is worth what you want to pay for it. The only thing I will say is if you drove the 318 and are satisfied, have at it. In a big car like this, a 2bbl 318 is a pooch, but that can be rectified later.

It doesn't look spray bombed. Nearly guarantee the trunk pan had to be replaced and quarter work, since it is a Mopar. Rotisserie sounds like floor pans too. But you probably know what you're lookin for.

Sounds like a man in lust, any car is worth what you want to pay for it. The only thing I will say is if you drove the 318 and are satisfied, have at it. In a big car like this, a 2bbl 318 is a pooch, but that can be rectified later.

I didn't actually get to drive the car, he does not have it registered nor inspected. That makes me pause a bit, he bought it last fall and never put it on the road and wants to trade it. I heard it run, looked and smelled the fluids on the dipsticks, no milk shake or burnt trans fluid, didn't see any leaks on his floor and nothing dripping.

When I do an NADA online valuation of a 1969 Coronet 500 318 2bbl, I come up with $9100-$12,000, when I do the same NADA valuation for my 400 CID/250HP GTO it's $32,000-$47,000. Those are miles apart, but how do you trust those numbers IMO... Thy seem a bit whack compared to what I see on CL and eBay.

I didn't actually get to drive the car, he does not have it registered nor inspected. That makes me pause a bit, he bought it last fall and never put it on the road and wants to trade it.
When I do an NADA online valuation of a 1969 Coronet 500 318 2bbl, I come up with $9100-$12,000, when I do the same NADA valuation for my 400 CID/250HP GTO it's $32,000-$47,000. Those are miles apart, but how do you trust those numbers IMO... Thy seem a bit whack compared to what I see on CL and eBay.
No bugs worked out then. I wouldn't think taking it around the subdivision is a big deal. I guess he's apparently a flipper or wanna-be, because who rotisseries then trades for another car without driving it (not like he's trying to recoup the cost)? But no matter, if you like it, enjoy!

I don't pay attention to NADA, there's just too much uniqueness to each situation. But $26 could be a tad high. . . .

I think he needs to kick in 10k on the deal or walk away. Sell your car outright and find a real Superbee with an older restoration on it.
Buy a prius to drive in the mean time to save your$$ for a better deal.
Sounds like a flipper....

Would you trade your GTO even up for a plain LeMans with a small motor and pretty paint?

Last edited:
No bugs worked out then. I wouldn't think taking it around the subdivision is a big deal. I guess he's apparently a flipper or wanna-be, because who rotisseries then trades for another car without driving it (not like he's trying to recoup the cost)? But no matter, if you like it, enjoy!

I don't pay attention to NADA, there's just too much uniqueness to each situation. But $26 could be a tad high. . . .

He says he bought it from the guy who did the restoration, which I will get that dude's contact info tomorrow so I can ask if there was any panel replacement, seller says he was told no.

And yeah, I'm hoping a cruise around the subdivision will happen at least.

car looks nice. If you like it, make an offer! Price kind of high but it can be negotiated. Big block stroker in hemi orange would look nice in that engine bay, you can cruise the 318 in the meantime.

I think it makes sense that he'd have to kick in cash to get me started on a drivetrain upgrade.

I guess we'll see if he even likes my car.

I'm fine with the non year color, don't care for the wheels. what's the interior like? I'd defiantly want to drive it. As much as I like mopar...I can't say it would be an even trade for a top of the line muscle car. But this deal only has to make you happy. Drive it, crawl under it, make sure what you're getting. That would be a sweet car with a 383 or 440 in it.

Ok, no deal. He's not interested in putting up any cash and I feel I'd be losing out on a straight up trade.

Damn, this is the closest I've come to getting my Mopar...

It's probably better for you in the long run. Don't settle. The one in the ebay ad is what you really want. Call them up & see if you can work out a trade/deal. Most of us had to wait from 1 - 3 years til we found what we were looking for.

Use this website as it landed me my car: http://www.autotempest.com/

Ok, no deal. He's not interested in putting up any cash and I feel I'd be losing out on a straight up trade.

Don't stress it. If it was meant to happen, it would have. Personally there were way to many bad signs for me on this one and I think you would have really got hosed! Keep looking and watch the forums on here. The right car will come along. I know it's not instant gratification, but give some serious thought to just selling yours and then just buying a Bee outright, if a Bee is what you want, and you will come out way better than this trade would have ever been.

Have a real #'s 72 GTO that I am considering trading for a 69 Coronet. I'd love to get my hands on a 69 Superbee, but they are rare around here plus the pricing is out of my league.

I know nothing about Mopars apart from the stuff I have learned on Graveyard Cars lol.

Supposedly this car I will be looking at this week is a 1969 Cornoet 500, owner says it has 30,000 orig miles (I dunno about that...) It's a 318 auto but with buckets and a center console. I'm assuming it has the sweep speedo dash.

Not a huge fan of the 318, but going to look at the car anyways. My 72 GTO is all numbers matching all orig sheet metal, never had any rust/rot etc. I'm a bit concerned Googling online about pricing. Seems a 318 Coronet is valued at about 1/2 the value of my GTO.

If you guys came across a 1969 Sublime Green Coronet with black bucket center console interior with 318 with all it's orig sheet metal, what kind of value would you be looking at? I guess first off, is that even a possible factory combination?

I'll try to get pictures of the fender tag. If there are other areas I should be looking for numbers, please let me know. The VIN tag is lower right windshield? I know there is a partial VIN on the rad core support somewhere, but not exactly sure where.

Just asking, why the Superbee model?
The same year Coronets all have the same basic body / style. The different models have different trim packages and standard engines.
The Coronet 500 is a higher level trim package, almost the same as the R/T, but with 318 drivetrain standard, where the R/T came standard with the 440, some HD upgrades, and the 150 mph dash. The 440 low end model and SuperBee have almost the same trim package, but the Superbee came with the 383-4bbl standard.

Just asking, why the Superbee model?
The same year Coronets all have the same basic body / style. The different models have different trim packages and standard engines.
The Coronet 500 is a higher level trim package, almost the same as the R/T, but with 318 drivetrain standard, where the R/T came standard with the 440, some HD upgrades, and the 150 mph dash. The 440 low end model and SuperBee have almost the same trim package, but the Superbee came with the 383-4bbl standard.

Well, here is my story.

What I REALLLLY want some day is a 1968 Charger R/T 440 4spd, my second choice is a 1969 Super Bee 440 Six pack 4spd. I will never be able to afford either unless I clone.

I am open to a 69 Coronet like the one I looked at yesterday, but I'd have to spend prob $10k getting the drivetrain where I want it. The 318 would bother me the whole time I owned the car... If he would have thrown in $5k with his Coronet I would have traded, but it sounds like he may have overpaid when he bought it last year and is up against it.

I'd wait 6 weeks and get back with the seller. As much as I like and respect the 318, as others have said this is holding the car back. I'll bet in 6 weeks he will still have the car, and might be open to a lower price. I don't think you will get a trade plus cash deal. Bring a shoe box with 200 one hundred dollar bills and flash it.

Auto Transport Service
Back