• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loss in value: Non-original drivetrain vs original

64 Post

Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
Trying to get a consensus on what the diminished over all value would be for a 68 Charger R/T Hemi 4 speed QQ1 project car missing its engine/trans. A fresh OE type Hemi engine and 18 spline trans of unknown year would go back in its place.

It’s a 68 hemi charger. It’ll still be worth a mint done right. I would think it may be hard to put a number on it but 10-15g maybe once fully restored?

Early 68 might not have VIN stamp on engine.

Might be "easy" to locate an "original" engine.

It will be worth a lot but when compared to an all matching numbers car expect about a 50k difference...

When restored "right" does not mean a bunch of reproduction parts slapped on either. This car would be competing with cars that have at the minimum of 30-50k invested in paint and body alone and probably another 70-80 in the restoration.....

The true buyers of these cars vs dreamers have high expectations and know a finely restored car vs a generic restoration...They also gets these cars professionally verified prior to purchase btw...

That being said the car has one of the best colors and came with an iconic drive train and should be restored nicely IMHO...and it is a 68 charger to boot....

Where you can make $$ is if you have the abilities to do the majority of work yourself.....

Last edited:
Trying to get a consensus on what the diminished over all value would be for a 68 Charger R/T Hemi 4 speed QQ1 project car missing its engine/trans. A fresh OE type Hemi engine and 18 spline trans of unknown year would go back in its place.

Don't forget to take into account how much of a project this car is. I think that a matching numbers car that's done very nicely would fetch about 150-170 large today & I agree with Justin's assessment that a non-matching numbers would be valued in the low 100s. That being said, put together a cost on what you think you will spend and automatically add 30% and this will give you (roughly) the true cost of what you should actually pay for said project car.

Unless you have access to lots of parts you will have a lot of investment in OEM parts. Is this a disc brake car? Does it have paper work, what about fender tag, etc...

Also Justin said 10-15 gs which is 10-15 thousand. I think getting 100K for a non matching hemi engine and transmission would be a fetch. But maybe. G

Just this year, two hemi R/T 4 speed cars sold at Barrett-Jackson for $150,000 and $132,000. With a non-original motor or transmission I could see the car fetching low $100's

Auto Transport Service
Back