• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making Vapor barriers for doors/quarter panels

idrivemopar

Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to share some information about making door vapor barriers and quarter vapor barriers. I made these for my 73 RR but apply to any car with these installed. As most old cars the originals are rusted dirty and torn, so a new set is in order. If you have your originals, at least one side, the same cut out can go on either side since the plastic is clear.

1. Where to get the plastic? Some have suggested that your local hardware store has it, but this is made for landscaping or painting and is either not correct density, i.e., less then 4 mil or is white plastic not clear. Additionally its not the correct poly type plastic, as you want something that is resistant to tearing. So, my suggestion, go to your local furniture store, a mattress store is better and ask if you can get a mattress cover, queen size is plenty big to do two sets for any car. Its thick clear plastic, and is 6 mil and sturdy enough so it will not tear if you need to remove it from the strip caulk at some point. Its very close to original, a bit less clear but a bit stronger. If you ask nicely, you may be able to get a bag for free as I was able to!!!!

2. Laying out the plastic an cutting. Lay out your plastic that you will use to make new barriers, using a large piece of cardboard underneath so you have a good cutting surface. Lay out your original on top, and tape the edges so it is tight. Next, using a sharp utility knife or scissors cut out the middle sections for the door handle and window handles. Next if you have good scissors, you can push them along the edges to get a smooth even cut, rather then scissoring on the edge. Round the corners as needed with your original still attached. do this for both the doors and the quarter panel barriers.

3. Attaching the barriers to doors. Using a piece of painters or masking tape hang the barrier on the door or quarter to get proper alignment. Use strip caulk or double sided tape on the top of the barrier, the door panel clips will hold the rest of the panel in place. Use a hole punch to make the holes for the door panel clips that are near the edge. Use a sharp knife and cut small "X" marks where the lower door screws go in, this will prevent the plastic from wrapping up or tearing when putting these screws in. Do the same for where the upper door panel clips go into the middle of the panel.

4. Attaching the barriers to the quarter panels area. Again use painters or masking tape to hang the barrier. Use strip caulk and run it around the sides of the barrier, the top was not attached, and the bottom used paper tape to attach it to the portion that juts out under the panel. I don't believe this was used in all applications, however, your old barrier should show you where the strip caulk was located before and you can follow it. Now with it in place, again use a sharp knife to "X" out the holes for the quarter panel screens and clips for the quarter lower and upper panels.

Here are some photos of the new barriers I made. Excuse the dirty carpet, but that's what happens when you have half a car in your house for a few years!!!

Door panel barrier attached to new plastic ready to cut, wheres my cardboard!
20140115_123439small.jpg

New and old, you can see why new ones were needed.
20140115_124801small.jpg

Quarter panel ready to cut
20140115_133928small.jpg

New and old, again, this was really why these needed replaced, rust and dirt!
20140115_134605small.jpg

What it looks like on the door, temporarily hung you can see its very transparent. Next to attach and make holes for the panel clips and screws.
20140115_131021small.jpg

Good luck, I hope this is helpful!

20140115_131021small.jpg 20140115_134605small.jpg 20140115_133928small.jpg 20140115_124801small.jpg 20140115_123439small.jpg

Cool idea and basically to make them for free with just some time and a little work would be awesome, thanks for sharing!

I'm not trying to knock what you started, it's cool but one thing over looked that I must add. It's more than a vapor barrier, it has to be tucked into the bottom of door (that long slot) for its main purpose, to keep the rain water (funnels water back to the bottom of door to the weep holes) from coming into the car. Don't caulk across bottom, leave open to drain any accumulated water from above. If you ever have dripping door panels, it wasn't tucked back right. Use caulk around every cut, window cranks, ect. The water will find a way in the tiniest hole. Hope I helped

Nice, as noted above they need to tuck into the lower slot (and be taped) to drain any water back into the body to drain out. Currently cutting a set myself for the SuperBird off the patterns I made from the Bee's installation.
beerestoration2019 3260.JPG
beerestoration2019 3250.JPG
beerestoration2019 3255.JPG

beerestoration2019part2 581.JPG

Yep had a 65 with big leak in heavy rain, thought it was the vent window but found out just the plastic pinched, had rotted the carpet in that spot

I made my own recently as well, but I did not tape them down after I tucked it in (did rears). I have not put the doors back together yet, so will do that on the doors any day. Thanks for the tip.

Grate idea. Did not have the old ones so ordered the set from Parts Mix they had the calk that come's with it. Glad you mentioned taping the bottoms.

help on Parts Mix site please. I cannot find "vapor barrier" is there another name? thanks.

Last edited:
Just throwing this out here, since this thread is awesome but I got these three products for my resto and they are pretty close

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQNCY4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040ZC5AO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XW8K5S?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

Basically the same stuff being sold on other sites but at about a third of the cost.
How does this plastic different from what farmers put under hay stacks? We buy it in 100 foot rolls

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to share some information about making door vapor barriers and quarter vapor barriers. I made these for my 73 RR but apply to any car with these installed. As most old cars the originals are rusted dirty and torn, so a new set is in order. If you have your originals, at least one side, the same cut out can go on either side since the plastic is clear.

1. Where to get the plastic? Some have suggested that your local hardware store has it, but this is made for landscaping or painting and is either not correct density, i.e., less then 4 mil or is white plastic not clear. Additionally its not the correct poly type plastic, as you want something that is resistant to tearing. So, my suggestion, go to your local furniture store, a mattress store is better and ask if you can get a mattress cover, queen size is plenty big to do two sets for any car. Its thick clear plastic, and is 6 mil and sturdy enough so it will not tear if you need to remove it from the strip caulk at some point. Its very close to original, a bit less clear but a bit stronger. If you ask nicely, you may be able to get a bag for free as I was able to!!!!

2. Laying out the plastic an cutting. Lay out your plastic that you will use to make new barriers, using a large piece of cardboard underneath so you have a good cutting surface. Lay out your original on top, and tape the edges so it is tight. Next, using a sharp utility knife or scissors cut out the middle sections for the door handle and window handles. Next if you have good scissors, you can push them along the edges to get a smooth even cut, rather then scissoring on the edge. Round the corners as needed with your original still attached. do this for both the doors and the quarter panel barriers.

3. Attaching the barriers to doors. Using a piece of painters or masking tape hang the barrier on the door or quarter to get proper alignment. Use strip caulk or double sided tape on the top of the barrier, the door panel clips will hold the rest of the panel in place. Use a hole punch to make the holes for the door panel clips that are near the edge. Use a sharp knife and cut small "X" marks where the lower door screws go in, this will prevent the plastic from wrapping up or tearing when putting these screws in. Do the same for where the upper door panel clips go into the middle of the panel.

4. Attaching the barriers to the quarter panels area. Again use painters or masking tape to hang the barrier. Use strip caulk and run it around the sides of the barrier, the top was not attached, and the bottom used paper tape to attach it to the portion that juts out under the panel. I don't believe this was used in all applications, however, your old barrier should show you where the strip caulk was located before and you can follow it. Now with it in place, again use a sharp knife to "X" out the holes for the quarter panel screens and clips for the quarter lower and upper panels.

Here are some photos of the new barriers I made. Excuse the dirty carpet, but that's what happens when you have half a car in your house for a few years!!!

Door panel barrier attached to new plastic ready to cut, wheres my cardboard!
View attachment 162925

New and old, you can see why new ones were needed.
View attachment 162924

Quarter panel ready to cut
View attachment 162923

New and old, again, this was really why these needed replaced, rust and dirt!
View attachment 162922

What it looks like on the door, temporarily hung you can see its very transparent. Next to attach and make holes for the panel clips and screws.
View attachment 162921

Good luck, I hope this is helpful!

View attachment 162921 View attachment 162922 View attachment 162923 View attachment 162924 View attachment 162925
Thanks for this.Very timely because I’m doing new panels now!

How does this plastic different from what farmers put under hay stacks? We buy it in 100 foot rolls
Not sure, but its 6mil and looks a lot like the original stuff. I'm doing mine this weekend too.

Auto Transport Service
Back