• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical High Volume Fuel Pump

ykf7b0

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:03 AM
Reaction score
I currently run a Mallory electric fuel pump with regulator for my street/strip 440 with an occasional 175 hp shot of nitrous oxide. I keep a close eye on the fuel pressure when the bottle is opened. I like to maintain at least 6 to 7 psi at wide open throttle to be on the safe side with the NOS. I am curious to know if any of you drag racing performance minded Moparites are running mechanical pumps and if so, what kind are you running? I am contemplating switching over to a mechanical pump for noise reduction inside the passenger compartment if there is one out there that can keep the pressure high. Thanks!

Last edited:
carter gm4862 mecanical fuel pump. i used it on my 528 hemi belvedere, more than enough pressure 8-9.5

Thanks Superstockracer! What size fuel line are you running with the Hemi?

Last edited:
Thanks for the information and recommendation you have provided me! I'm getting myself a Carter gm4862! Mopar to YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no problem,my pleasure
63PLYMOUTH65DODGEA99068HEMIROADR-23.jpg

Whoa!!! That is the KING! The one the Shivvy boy's do not want to talk about!

I use that pump all the time, but liked them better when they didn't cost over a hundred bucks

if you run nos, aren't you suposed to have an electric fuel pump? My 383 had the power shot system on it and it was setup with both mechanical and electric fuel pumps. Mechanical took care of the general operation and the electric supplied the demands for the nos system.

I believe it is based on the amout of nitrous you are injecting. I don't think it is an absolute that the fuel delivery has to electrical it just has to be sufficient. I also believe if Superstockracer is feeding two 770's on a 528 Hemi that the suggested mechanical pump will feed my 446 wedge with an 850 Holley and the 175 shot of NOS. The fuel pressure gauge will let me know for sure! Thanks!

I began this thread looking to switch a noisy electric pump for a quiet mechanical pump. I has since researched the subject and have learned that with the electric pump I could drastically increase performance and reduce noise by installing a return line in my fuel system. I am in the process of buying a fuel pressure regulator with fuel bypass provision (Holley 803BP) that will allow me to run the return line back to the tank. Thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread! I will keep you posted as to how it turns out.

Update..........................

The return line helped with the noise somewhat but not as much as I had hoped.

Auto Transport Service
Back