• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mecum auction Kissimmee 2017

It's OK I was busy and didnt have alot of time, thought it would be great to say hi.

Amazing collection of muscle. If I were to sell my GTX of 45 years - should I do so at auction like these?
I wouldn't, if you can't handle hundreds of people slamming your doors, the hood gos up and down, I didn't sell 2 cars . Both came home with damage, Brocken mirror, cig burn, scratches, nova had new hood hinges that closed with one hand, now takes 2 people to close. It's good for holesale dealers, unless you have something rare. Prices were low this year. record number of bid gos on ( no sale) jeep and Vette sold low, Camaro and nova came home. If I can give any advice it's not worth it.

I wouldn't, if you can't handle hundreds of people slamming your doors, the hood gos up and down, I didn't sell 2 cars . Both came home with damage, Brocken mirror, cig burn, scratches, nova had new hood hinges that closed with one hand, now takes 2 people to close. It's good for holesale dealers, unless you have something rare. Prices were low this year. record number of bid gos on ( no sale) jeep and Vette sold low, Camaro and nova came home. If I can give any advice it's not worth it.
I thought prices were low across the board from watching on TV.

Agree, the auction is a gamble. You never know.

Just wondering if this is the same car or a tribute. 1st pic is what Ugk took. Second and third are pics I took at US 30 reunion in York Pa.years ago.

IMG_20170107_184421213.jpg

i1628.jpg

i1629.jpg

Sure looks like it.

I didn't notice that. It's in the catolog from mecum. It was in one of the collections. You should be able to look it up.

That's I cool car, injected hemi

Looks like the same one that didn't sell even though the offers went over 400k. The auction TV announcers said there were 6 factory altered wheelbase Mopars, although that may be incorrect or how many are left in existence. Also from the Mecum description linked above:
  • 1 of 6 acid-dipped, altered-wheelbase cars produced by Chrysler in 1965

Thanks for the great pics of some great cars ! ( by the way, don't know if anyone mentioned it, but there was no SD-455 GTO in 74, I recall they only had a 350 c.I. small-block in that Nova body style)

Thanks for the great pics of some great cars ! ( by the way, don't know if anyone mentioned it, but there was no SD-455 GTO in 74, I recall they only had a 350 c.I. small-block in that Nova body style)
Yes, that is all that I have found so far, and mentioned that in an earlier post. I climbed a steep learning curve on the way to and after buying my wife's 65 Royal Bobcat tribute GTO. 421 TriPower 4 speed car...in Iris Mist (beautiful 1 year only color, same as Chevrolet Midnight Orchid) I had the motor rebuilt right before Crusin the Coast in October of 2016. It already had some good go fast work that had been done by a previous owner, but I took it to the next level: new stock 421 crank, Eagle H-beam rods, Comp Cams Xtreme Energy hydraulic roller cam, ARP everything everywhere including ARP main cap studs for the 4 bolt main caps. Billet steel double roller timing set, Melling oil pump and pickup. It had .030 over JE forged aluminum pistons, but it now has .035 over RaceTech forged aluminum pistons that we had dished for a static CR of 10:1 down from 11:1 previous CR. It still has the 8777 hand-ported iron heads, and Comp Cams roller-tip steel rockers with new springs, 10° locks and retainers. Next up is a posi rear end, because believe me, when you can smoke a 275/45/17 at the 1/8th mile mark at 60, you need more traction!
20161005_184804.jpg
One nice thing about Pontiac motors is you can put any V8 in place of any other, so a 455 will fit where a 305 was. So as far as the 74 GTO goes, a 455SD could drop right in where the 350 was. There are no "small block" Pontiac motors, all of the blocks are externally the same size.

They didn't claim it was original

They didn't claim it was original
Correct. The window tag description didn't claim it was original or a SD, just a 425 horsepower 455. The decal on the functional air scoop and the valve cover were correct for a SD455, but maybe it wasn't a real SD motor? Pretty hot setup for a fairly small car, although I think they still weighed around 3,700 lbs. EDIT: I looked up some information on the 74 GTO and there were just over 7,000 made, about 1,500 hatchbacks, and only the 350/200 horsepower motor available. This is the lowest production number GTO, and the last year, until the 2000 era LS powered models, which weigh an incredible 4,200 lbs.

Last edited:
Yes, that is all that I have found so far, and mentioned that in an earlier post. I climbed a steep learning curve on the way to and after buying my wife's 65 Royal Bobcat tribute GTO. 421 TriPower 4 speed car...in Iris Mist (beautiful 1 year only color, same as Chevrolet Midnight Orchid) I had the motor rebuilt right before Crusin the Coast in October of 2016. It already had some good go fast work that had been done by a previous owner, but I took it to the next level: new stock 421 crank, Eagle H-beam rods, Comp Cams Xtreme Energy hydraulic roller cam, ARP everything everywhere including ARP main cap studs for the 4 bolt main caps. Billet steel double roller timing set, Melling oil pump and pickup. It had .030 over JE forged aluminum pistons, but it now has .035 over RaceTech forged aluminum pistons that we had dished for a static CR of 10:1 down from 11:1 previous CR. It still has the 8777 hand-ported iron heads, and Comp Cams roller-tip steel rockers with new springs, 10° locks and retainers. Next up is a posi rear end, because believe me, when you can smoke a 275/45/17 at the 1/8th mile mark at 60, you need more traction! View attachment 388451One nice thing about Pontiac motors is you can put any V8 in place of any other, so a 455 will fit where a 305 was. So as far as the 74 GTO goes, a 455SD could drop right in where the 350 was. There are no "small block" Pontiac motors, all of the blocks are externally the same size.
Yep, we used to swap 400 & 455 engines into 389 cars. And the owners still said they had a "389" under the hood to all comers !

Yep, we used to swap 400 & 455 engines into 389 cars. And the owners still said they had a "389" under the hood to all comers !
Yep. Real possibility of making some cash on the street or at the track. "It's just a 350" A friend of mine had a 78 Pontiac Grand Prix new and into the 80s. The 305 was a boat anchor. When it blew, he swapped in a 455. Dropped right in.

Auto Transport Service
Back