• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mickey Thompson tires

6t4polara

Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
Looking at getting new tires and wonder if there is any problems with this tire.
Mickey Thompson sportsman S. T's

From what I have heard, they are the exact same tire as a Cooper Cobra GT. Just different lettering and they cost more. Post up if you learn otherwise.....

I have them on my ERA 427 Cobra and they have been a great tire. They are pretty highly regarded in the Cobra replica group as a good substitute for the crazy expensive Avons. Not to say they are in the same performance rank as the Avons but a better than average riding and handling tire that balances well and comes in a decent selection of 15” sizes. They are made by Cooper and are essentially the same tire as the Cooper Cobra. Some of the Hankook tires are also popular right now for thei quality and 15” sizes but some people are a little turned off by their busy, modern, sidewall design.

I put Cooper Cobra GT's on the Express, i'm happy with them.

20220722_104130.jpg

20220722_111612.jpg

20220722_141246.jpg

Some tire manufacturers carry 30-40 molds for the same carcasses. I think Michelin is one that has molds for store brand, $35 pep-boys tires. There’s a code on the sidewall that indicated the manufacturer
I have a paper somewhere here with a chart, it’s 20 years old and a little outdated, but interesting.

Here’s the sheet I mentioned. Again, it is 20 years old. Some has changed. Interesting enough the bottom says the DOT offers a list. I just noticed that.
FE46B089-BFD0-4FFB-96E0-6925E3633BC0.jpeg

I've got Mickey Thompsons on my Bee. 295's on the rear and 245's on the front. I punish them a little more than most and they are doing well. Surprisingly lasting longer than I had expected them to. They currently have 4 track days on them and are still about 1/2 tread.

CWW_1560.jpg

Those 29's are what I wanted but the price skyrocketed due to COVID.

Theres a more complete explanation in one of the 'crappy BFGs turned brown ' threads, but basically, Cooper has made Mickey Thompson tyres for decades. However... the M/T Sportsmans used a Goodyear carcass. GoodYear recently purchased Cooper... so while the design of the Sportsman ST and the Cooper Cobra are similar, they are not the same tyre. The Coopers are being made in mexico and the Mickeys are made in the US. At least as of last week... ;)

I've been running the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T's for about 10 years. They're great. No complaints. They've got better grip than some BFG white letter tires I ran 10 years ago. Our FBBO buddy Dennis H runs Cooper Cobras on his car. I mention that because I've ridden in and driven his car with those tires. Also a great tire, but different from the MT Sportsman S/T for sure. In my opinon, can't go wrong with either. If you don't need raised white letter though, there may be some 15" tires out there that have better grip.

Auto Transport Service
Back